PDA

View Full Version : A Word of Warning

the nowed serpent
23-07-2011, 03:05
Just noticed this on the dreaded FB

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -tent.html

most of us who session fish use a cooker that is powered by a fossil fuel of some kind whether it be lpg or petrol and I know a lot of you use the cooker inside the bivvy but just be aware that when the temperature drops you don't shut the front of the bivvy down as the consequences can be a permanent loss of interest in carp fishing :think2:

Andy

karl
23-07-2011, 09:03
if this is the case,

why are companys selling bivvy heaters like the panther?

surly things like bivvy heaters should be banned then,

personaly i never use my petrol stove in the bivvy unless the door is fully open,

Spike
23-07-2011, 09:31
This is not just applicable to fishing, it's happening more frequently in campng in general.

People pull the cooker into the tent/bivvy and then put themselves at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or the tent catching fire. BBQ will have the same effect.

Decathlon sell a small, cheap, tarp that can be set up quickly to cook under if it wet and windy, or use an umbrella (well away from the heat source, obviously..:) )

You should never, ever use a device that needs oxygene/fuel mix or one that produces carbon monoxide inside a tent.
The bivvy heaters should be banned.

jonny vegas
23-07-2011, 09:53
if this is the case,why are companys selling bivvy heaters like the panther?
surly things like bivvy heaters should be banned then,,

i think if you read the small print, lets face it, none of us do!, theres a warning about use in a ventilated space etc, etc,,
i know of a well known angler who is now a rep for fox int, who earned the nickname "firestarter" after an incident with a petrol stove in his bivvy!

John
23-07-2011, 10:34
Anyone with even a smidgin of a brain should realize that heaters or cookers in a closed bivvy is dangerous :conf:

the nowed serpent
23-07-2011, 13:45
Anyone with even a smidgin of a brain should realize that heaters or cookers in a closed bivvy is dangerous :conf:

Yep you'd think :think2:

Andy

Malc
23-07-2011, 14:40
Common sense should prevail but when it comes to camping on the bank or on a camp site the brain seems to stop working. There's enough publicity about the dangers of using equipment that can give off dangerous fumes, both at home and outside.
It's all very well to say ban things like bivvy heaters. Why? If the individual can't be bothered to think or read instructions that's their problem. Perhaps cars should be banned, after all there are crashes, some fatal, every day of the week.
No, it's all about using a bit of the old grey matter and staying safe.

Paul F
23-07-2011, 17:23
i think if you read the small print, lets face it, none of us do!, theres a warning about use in a ventilated space etc, etc,,
i know of a well known angler who is now a rep for fox int, who earned the nickname "firestarter" after an incident with a petrol stove in his bivvy!

Not Mr. Selman by any chance? He had a very "heart warming" incident on Redesmere some years ago lol

flashgordon1952
27-07-2011, 23:27
i dont think its a good idea to have any form of heating in a tent ,unless there is a good chimney or gas outlit. tents tend to hold the heat but also any fumes that are there. Thats why its not a good idea to cook inside a tent too.
I have seen many tents end up in a ball of flames. If yu need to cook always do it outside at least 15 feet away and if yu need to cover it use a metal cover ,which can easily be made from 3 pieces of metal with hinges (by the way yu can buy them in a camping shop too) at least if anything ends up on fire it wont be your expensive tent/bivvy. i gather there is a list of rules from the scout association and the camping and caravaning club on this too.
if you are that cold wear thermo gear and put a rug under the tent to prevent cold

Mattman1981
28-07-2011, 10:48
Just a thought we all know its not the brightest idea pulling the stove in the bivvy and how dangerous it is but why would people be doing it this time of year are anglers becoming so lazy they cant be bothered to move to make a brew or bite to eat.
Anyway think it would be worth reposting the warning about this nearer the winter when more may be inclined to sneak the stove in for warmth just an idea.