PDA

View Full Version : Help for beginner!

sam400
27-09-2011, 23:08
hi there! I am new to carp fishing I have been 4 times so far with mates and got really into it. I ve had a lot of help so far on each trip and it is gradually sinking in, the trouble is mates are not fishing anymore this year as their hunting season has started! So I have decided to get out and do a bit on my own, however there is more than a few things i am not sure about. I am going to ask a few questions on here and see how i get on.

What are the essential rigs that i need to have with me to cover most situations?
I have only used hair rigs so far. I quite enjoyed making them, so dont mind making anything up.

What is the best bait for beginners to use?
I was thinking boilies but i havent had any luck with them yet. The fish I have caught so far were off the surface with dog biscuits and off the bottom with a ball of maggots. I only have a basic 2 rod set up, no spod rod or bait boat.

Do I need a marker float as part of my kit?
I have been going in swims without any thought to were the fish are so far I realise this is wrong i am going to have a proper look next time but do i need to feature find and concentrate my bait in one area as well to increase my chances.

Thanks in advance!

Bowza
27-09-2011, 23:22
Hi

Sam location location location, if the fish are not there no bait will help you.

u asking the right questions, u dont need loads of kit , simple and basic will catch fish, the trick is finding them,

question for you to help you improve, do you fish the same lake or move around to many venues, if you can stick to one lake , learn the lake that way u will learn the basic principles of fish behaviour, signs to look for, water features, this can them be applied to other waters,

ok marker float will help with water depths and features, but a basic led without hooklink can be dragged around the bottom to feel out what the lake bed is made up of , when fishing watch for fish movements surface , rolling bubbles , disturbances in the lake bed, see if they are regular locations each time you visit , watch and remember,

Baits, dont ignore the simple baits, as u say maggots work, why not they are a great bait, sweetcorn is always in my bag, simple 2 bits of corn, yes u will get pestered by small fish , so what we cant all land 25lb fish each visit soon get bored of that, use ground baits cheap Vitalin , brown crum with some corn , or hemp , or a few chopped boilies that your using as hook bait, if fish are in the area they will home in on it

fish care for when you catch them, protective mat , some form of clinic for and mouth or scale damage, treat them well catch them when their bigger,

final thing for now if you leave without catching, but can say you learnt something after the session then it was worth it.

good hunting tight lines

Bowza

John
27-09-2011, 23:56
What are the essential rigs that i need to have with me to cover most situations?
I have only used hair rigs so far. I quite enjoyed making them, so dont mind making anything up.

Simple running rig will get you started in most situations, and is a real fish friendly rig set up right

What is the best bait for beginners to use?
I was thinking boilies but i havent had any luck with them yet. The fish I have caught so far were off the surface with dog biscuits and off the bottom with a ball of maggots. I only have a basic 2 rod set up, no spod rod or bait boat.

Unfortunatley there is no best bait, luncheon/bacon grill/pepperami fished over a bed of sweetcorn and hemp will catch you as many fish as any boilie will, but finding a good high nutrional boilie for your fishing will help.

Do I need a marker float as part of my kit?
I have been going in swims without any thought to were the fish are so far I realise this is wrong i am going to have a proper look next time but do i need to feature find and concentrate my bait in one area as well to increase my chances.

No you dont need a marker float really, what you will need is a feature finding lead or a gripper lead, with this lead you can find out whats on the bottom easily with the kit you have, the float will help you determine depth, but you can count the lead down, roughly a second per foot.

sam400
30-09-2011, 00:22
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Its all helping. You can only glean so much from other people threads!

I ve been to a different venue everytime just been following my mates really but I'll stick to my local one and see how I get on. only trouble is it's fairly featureless so can't put into practice the watercraft article I ve been reading.

I am def going to have a good look round before I pick a swim next session and try to locate some fish. Then I ll have a feel about with a lead and try to work out what I am fishing over.

The brings me to my next question!
Once I figure out what I am fishing on do I need to use the relevant rig or will my hair rig cover all bases?

I am going to give some of the baits you gave mentioned
a go have already rounded up some of them.

The bit I am confused about is how I get these baits near my hook bait. I am not sure how much to use or how accurately they have to be grouped or scattered. I guess there are different methods but I don't know were to start!

Cheers

sam

Jack Sparrow
30-09-2011, 09:45
The bit I am confused about is how I get these baits near my hook bait. I am not sure how much to use or how accurately they have to be grouped or scattered. I guess there are different methods but I don't know were to start!

Cheers

sam

Hello mate, like you I am very new to carp fishing, infact unlike you I have not been carp fishing yet on the bottom only on the flaot.

But one thing I have figured out to your above problem is PVA, whether this is bags or mesh, below are a few youtube links to give you an idea of how to use them and how they work, but they will solve the problem of getting ground baits near to your hook baits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUFVS5VcxI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTUo_kZCWs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXYrtqQxfc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TFtpLp4wEk&NR=1

YIS
JS

Jack Sparrow
30-09-2011, 10:59
hello again mate, below is a link to a youtube series on carp fishing by Matt Hayes, its a long series bit it covers most things to get you started, the below link is to the first one in the series, let the link finish once its finished in the box were the video was playing you will see the link to the second part, and so forth and so forth.

Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fte3gOM-NTw&feature=related

YIS
JS

Pacman
30-09-2011, 17:45
Lads, I know it's already been said but the best and easiest thing to do is learn how to tie a simple knotless knot, once you have done that as far as rigs are concerned you have cracked it :cool: Obviously there's different rigs and more complicated rigs out there but start off with somethig easy........it will catch fish.

For having a few freebies around your hookbait, then get yourself some PVA stocking, put 4 or 5 boilies in either whole or broken up and you are guarenteed bait near your hookbait.

The main advice I can give really is "get used to going fishing" I hope that doesn't sound silly but what I mean is get out on the bank, get used to setting upi your gear, get used to casting stuff like that. Forget marker floats, spods and such like they are for when you get a bit more experienced.

But, the 2 best bits of advice I can give you is this............talk to other anglers on the lake, in my experience when asked for help by an inexperienced angler they are only too happy to help, in fact they will go into overdrive and fill your head of too much:)

Secondly, whilst I'm sure you want to catch big fish get used to catching smaller fish, learning about playing them in and then handling them properly so get on a lake where there's plenty of fish.

BUT ABOVE ALL..............ENJOY THE RIDE :p

sam400
03-10-2011, 11:47
@Jack sparrow
thanks for the video links i have watched the lot and learnt quite a bit from them. I have since bought some PVA bits can't wait to give it a bash.

@ Pacman thats sound advice I will try to keep it as simple as possible. It's overwhelming how much stuff is out there when your starting out!!

I have been getting organised this week have got to know my local bait roller and now have a bit in the freezer.

I have also joined my local club. 45 a year and you get the use of 4 lakes can't go wrong! I have been to have a look at one and it looks stunning saw a few signs of fish too. You have to pay to use that one tho a whopping 2 a day!

All thats left is to do some fishing!
hopefully this week some time.
Ill let you know how I get on.

Sam

Jack Sparrow
03-10-2011, 12:40
Glad you found them of some help mate:cool:

YIS
JS

Bendog
03-10-2011, 13:15
I had not fishing for 15 years when I started again about 3 years ago so much had changed it was like just starting from scratch again. That vid that Jack Sparrow linked was one of the 1st and best ones on youtube to look at.
One of the best bits of advice was from my dad who is a mach angler and that advice was to keep things simple to start with.
As for Bait I would use Spam, sweetcorn and chick pees if you are finding that the fish are not feeding on boilies. I find that sometimes if you cut boilies in to squires the fish will feed on them as they are not used to been court on different shaped bait.

the nowed serpent
03-10-2011, 21:55
All thats left is to do some fishing!
hopefully this week some time.
Ill let you know how I get on.

Sam

Sam I know it's a bit late but I'm off to Frant Lakes on Wednesday just for a day session (it's not a million miles from Bexhill http://www.frantlakes.com/) if you fancy a trip out you'd be more than welcome ? That goes for anyone else too of course :think2::yes:

Andy

sam400
04-10-2011, 21:04
Andy I have pm'd you.

the nowed serpent
04-10-2011, 22:24
:cheers: Sam reply sent via pm

Andy