PDA

View Full Version : How much is necessary

Bendog
06-10-2011, 13:13
When I started fishing again I only had the very basic 2 rod set up with no marker/ spod rods and was using very basic rigs/ hook links and baits I could get from the local shop and I hooked fish. On my 2nd time out fishing for carp I hook 12 carp in one day and ok none of them were over 15lbs but it was a good days fishing.
The thing I used to do was put one bait in the margin right under my feet and hand feed some freebees around the hook bait, the 2nd rod would go out strait ahead of me and I would catapult some freebees around that rig.
So all in all a very basic way of fishing but it seemed to work for me and not carrying a load of gear I could move around the lake with out to many problems if the lake was quart.
Now having learned new stuff the way I fish as got more advanced and I have invested and started to use things like marker/spod rods and more advanced rigs but my rate of catch seems to of dropped right off, I know I can not go out and catch 10 or more fish every time but this got me thinking.
I see a lot of posts on this site asking about different rods, reels, bait, glugs, tactics, rigs and a load of other stuff but how much of the things we do and carry help us get fish and how much of it is just to get us to spend mony on things we dont need?

steve3100
06-10-2011, 13:44
i think as most anglers progress in there fishing wether it be for carp,pike,trout match fishing whatever we will all buy more gear thaen really need. most of the gear we do carry on a session may not come out of the bag on some sessions but i bet the day you leave it at home to save weight is the day you will need that item.

i have thought this myself on many occasions when im trying to get my gear back up a huge hill just before the carpark on a lake i fish barrow loaded to the hilt just about too colapse getting up the hill. and yet i remember the first few sessions i done on there was right of the start of my fishing carear yet i used to walk my gear to the lake didnt even own a barrow back then, was just the basics 3 rods, alarms, bedchair, brolly which fitted into my rod bag, a ruck sack with everything i needed in there including food and water and just 1 bucket with all the bait i needed for an overnighter.

but now no matter how much i scale down it all still seems over the top for 1 nights fishing. obvously pubilcity has some inpact on this with the sheer amount of tackle on the market and most of it now at prices almost everybody can afford which i think this is where most anglers are almost badgered into buying the latest gear which they simply dont need.

on the other hand more than often you can see whos been carp fishing a long time as these guys will use the same gear time and time agin being content with what they own and find no need to keep up with the jones's.:cool:

John
06-10-2011, 14:46
Most of the stuff you buy is for comfort and nothing to do with putting fish on the bank, and therefore not the reason the catch rate has dropped.

The 2 things that will effect your catch rate more than anything is location and angling pressure, the location you can do something about, the angling pressure you cant.

Put it to the test and see, fish the way you did 12 years ago and see what the results are ;)

CrazedCarper
06-10-2011, 17:25
yep i echo what john says to be honest,, the majority of gear is for our comfort, but with regards to the amount of terminal tackle you can have then yea, you can way overdo it. Rods, reels, alrams, pods, etc etc list goes on, i just try to take the minimum i think i might need for a session obviouslly its more if overnight because your incorporating bedchair, bivvy and sleeping bag but i can still generally do 2-3 days with a medium sized barrow of gear and can move no problem at all as again as john said Location location location!! :cool:

Larry
07-10-2011, 16:27
Most of the stuff you buy is for comfort and nothing to do with putting fish on the bank, and therefore not the reason the catch rate has dropped.

The 2 things that will effect your catch rate more than anything is location and angling pressure, the location you can do something about, the angling pressure you cant.

Put it to the test and see, fish the way you did 12 years ago and see what the results are ;)
I know i take far to much tackle with me now iv'e tried reducing it but end up finding i needed something i'd left at home so now take it all with me again.
I'm the same here most of tackle has been bought to make life easier & my tackle easier to use&get to on the bank anything thanks make things easier for me on the bank is winner with me.

Bowza
07-10-2011, 16:58
Kitchen sink need i say more

Bowza

John
24-09-2013, 23:08
Since this thread was posted, i have purchased a dwarf outfit, a grab it and go type of setup.

The one thing that this setup shown me was that all the stuff i had in my main setup was not actually needed :o

So proceeded to strip that down to the bare bones aswell.

The 2 main things that have departed from my main setup are the cube and rigstation, in there places the compact cube and a normal sized tackle box.

Im even more convinced now when i made my original reply on this thread that we buy stuff more for comfort & because we have a desire to fill things up that are empty. IE massive tackle bags etc.

My main gear is still a plenty for my needs but a lot of stuff went on ebay that i had not even used, more worryingly though, forgotten i had even bought it :o