PDA

View Full Version : Too easy........

Pacman
30-12-2011, 18:59
I have to say something that annoys me on forums is folk asking for help on a water..............nothing wrong with that in itself, but certain people want to know Best swim, best bait, where to cast, what rig, whether to feed heavy or light etc etc

Do you think they want it too easy? We all want a little advise on a new water but surely half the fun and satisfaction in catching is that you've done it yourself........isn't it?

John
30-12-2011, 19:34
:gp:

A fine balancing act asking for info on any water, like you say you want a bit of headstart but not to much that someone else has effectively angled the water for you..

But then this is the way carp angling has gone, with the amount of media available to everyone these days, i know when i started carping you found out the majority yourself..

Weed-Camo
30-12-2011, 21:37
I asked someone for help I the past and had to stop them from trying to cast for me , was a tad over helpful. :rolleyes:

steve3100
31-12-2011, 13:49
I have to say something that annoys me on forums is folk asking for help on a water..............nothing wrong with that in itself, but certain people want to know Best swim, best bait, where to cast, what rig, whether to feed heavy or light etc etc

Do you think they want it too easy? We all want a little advise on a new water but surely half the fun and satisfaction in catching is that you've done it yourself........isn't it?

we have a lad in our club who is exactly like the above he wants to know every last bit of info out of you yet he wont put in any effort himself and quite often jumps on other peoples success i,e into there prebaited pegs is a good example.

now nobody will tell him anything and suprise suprise he hasent caught a fish for around 8 months now and is ready to jack carp angling altogether and thinks all the carp have died in the lake simply because he isnt catching week in week out.

there is deffo a fine balance between asking for help and near enough sleeping with you in your bivvy lol:eek:

Malc
31-12-2011, 15:25
I will help anyone out providing they are willing to help themselves. Go on any forum you like and you'll get the same questions, what rigs, what bait, what's the best swim, etc, etc. Usual question is what's the best lake to catch a 20 or even a 30 and on what bait? I rarely answer these guys cos at the end of the day they aint got a clue about fishing, just want to catch a big fish and get their name and pic in a magazine. How many of us on here have had to put a lot of work in to their fishing, including getting to know the water and the habits of the fish? Why the hell should you help those who are too lazy to get out there and spend time on a water they are fishing and watch and learn?

Seankp53
31-12-2011, 17:28
I will help anyone out providing they are willing to help themselves.

Can only agree with that, Malc :yes: Only by making an effort can you hope to develop/improve your angling technique/skills.

I am afraid that the "buy a mag and catch a biggie" syndrome of some of the modern generation leaves me stone cold, along with blag all the info you can simply out of sheer laziness. I am also pleased to note that on this forum, there seem to be rather few of these :tu:

Now don't misunderstand me, I have bought mags to learn about UK fishing as did not have a clue - I had never even heard of a hair rig :lol: shows my age, but I have fished for over 55 years now, and still need to learn. Resorted to the old mags (circa 1977) to learn from the ground up. Ditto old DVD's because to see and hear often makes things clearer e.g Kevin Maddocks, Liam Dale, Matty Hayes, Mick Brown etc... Call me daft, but I have always found that learning the old ways first sets a solid foundation upon which to heap new knowledge, and not just in angling, mind..

Enough of me, but I simply advance my approach as an alternative to the "I want the world and I want it NOW" approach, even though I do like the Doors :lol4:

Go on any forum you like and you'll get the same questions, what rigs, what bait, what's the best swim, etc, etc. Usual question is what's the best lake to catch a 20 or even a 30 and on what bait? I rarely answer these guys cos at the end of the day they aint got a clue about fishing, just want to catch a big fish and get their name and pic in a magazine. How many of us on here have had to put a lot of work in to their fishing, including getting to know the water and the habits of the fish? Why the hell should you help those who are too lazy to get out there and spend time on a water they are fishing and watch and learn?

Says it all mate :yes:

Sean.

Carpyjon
02-01-2012, 20:08
Great post this one - well done that man!!

It is a balancing act. I dont mind helping people, and I will always tap up for people for information if they are willing to give it. But you have to take everything people tell you and add it to your own experience / skill etc. Its alright someone telling you there is a bar at 80 yards, but you still have to find it, cast to it, present a bait properly and so on...and thats only if you think that the bar is the best place to stick a bait in your swim anyway!! You gotta do your own thing and find out what works best in your own style of angling...its not wrong to ask for help and its not wrong to give it, but ultimately you have to find out for yourself...