PDA

View Full Version : ECHO & Angling trust ..

John
05-01-2012, 01:18
It seems that echo has ceased to exist now, there website is down and not much comes out from them anymore, i dont know how much of a difference they made or thought they would make, but an organisation with a cpl of hundred members for me was never going to make much of a difference.

Which brings me to the angling trust, the organisation that the panel was voted in to represent the anglers of the UK, well i dont know about you, but i never got a vote to say who should be on the panel at the AT.

So where does that leave angling in general, 1 big organisation that in its already short life has had to do a re shuffle because it wasnt working etc.

What are your thoughts on ECHO & the AT ?

the nowed serpent
05-01-2012, 02:42
It seems that echo has ceased to exist now, there website is down and not much comes out from them anymore, i dont know how much of a difference they made or thought they would make, but an organisation with a cpl of hundred members for me was never going to make much of a difference.

Which brings me to the angling trust, the organisation that the panel was voted in to represent the anglers of the UK, well i dont know about you, but i never got a vote to say who should be on the panel at the AT.

So where does that leave angling in general, 1 big organisation that in its already short life has had to do a re shuffle because it wasnt working etc.

What are your thoughts on ECHO & the AT ?

:think2: about as much as an udder on a bull :!:

Andy

Marc
05-01-2012, 02:51
I joined the angling trust the first year they started up.
all it gave me was a weekly email about how they had made every river and lake in the country 10 times better apart from mine.
The only thing useful was the fish for free thing which meant you got points when you bought from certain online shops which could be converted into bait and tackle etc which i managed to make my money back on so no big deal.
I agree that there should be a organization who has the backing of most anglers in the country across the board but in my opinion, charging me 25 to back you up with minimal benefits? is it worth it? to me the answer is no.

i may have a selfish point of view but as my local river (the stour) isn't famous for holding specimens and it never gets touched, the weeds haven't even been cut for the past 4 years.
When i was a member i sent them an email asking for plans they had to work on/improve the stour and they replied with a very long answer which in a nut shell, said it was lower then whale shit on there list of things to do but at the same time there digging swims in and chucking barbel and tench etc into 'popular' rivers where they have more members.
I can't complain about my river, i think its an undiscovered gem with fast shallow bits with with 8lb chub to deep slow wide parts with 30lb+ carp and pike in. I went down one morning and had two tench at 7.10lb and 8lb within minutes on the pole.
Its also to my knowledge one of the only river with true cruisins in but its very frustrating to know the angling trust won't touch it because theres not enough members in the area to benefit.

I know its not all about improving and benefiting members, it also standing up to problems and having a voice but that doesn't need funding like there receiving, if anything they want to get ea by the collar and find out where that money is going and why they don't stand up to the issues the angling trust has to deal with?
like i say, this is my opinion and understanding, if you disagree, reeducate me :D

What was ECHO all about, the name rings a bell but can't put my finger on it?

Pacman
05-01-2012, 11:20
I was in ECHO for a couple of years, purely on the one issue of illegal imports and the dangers they pose to us all. If they could help stop it then it was a worthy cause:cool:

Angling Trust, again I joined for 1 year but have let my membership lapse, the main reason was money, at the time I was out of work, but like as already said, I was disgruntleed at who was on the committee etc and who had "elected" them, so at this moment in time I'm in none of them.

The problem is that I feel as an angler we need a voice in government, it's absolutley crucial, the antis are getting louder, political correctness and all that crap, foreigners taking fish for the table, pollution etc etc. Just a few issues that need sorting out. My big problem is it's politics, and for me, most politicians are in it for themselves to line their own pockets. But what alternative do we have?

Have a look at this

http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/our-services/aquaculture/fish-health-inspectorate/tackling-illegal-imports.aspx