PDA

View Full Version : Weighting pop ups- what do you use?

sam400
03-02-2012, 13:27
Up till now I ve been using normal dinsmore shot to balance my popups mainly BB's I think. Anyway used them all now so looking at what to get next. The Preston stotz look good, might buy some putty to.

What do you lot use?

Cheers.

carpfanatic
03-02-2012, 14:05
Putty all the way :cool: Not a fan of putting shot on a hooklink :)

Marc
03-02-2012, 15:01
Putty for me as well.
Not worth the risk of damaging a hooklink and potentially losing a fish using a shot.
You can also fine tune the putty adding or cutting off so you can get it spot on.
Can also roll it on in such a way that it's not as conspicuous as a round shot or split it up to pin down a whole hook length

John
03-02-2012, 15:26
Putty here aswell, for the reasons mentioned, damage to hooklink etc.

Weed-Camo
03-02-2012, 15:40
Putty from The Leadshed :cool:

the nowed serpent
03-02-2012, 16:07
I usually prefer to fish a snowman so do the balancing by trimming that but for singles I use putty too but lately I've been using the wafters which don't need balancing so makes life a lot easier when using a single bait.

Andy

CrazedCarper
03-02-2012, 16:20
I prefer putty if im putting the weight on to the hooklink to balance it, i sometimes use a rig with a longer hair for pop ups and then use a very small shot to counter the pop up just under it on the hair,, so after the hook and before the pop up of you get what im trying to say,, had a few fish on that style of rig but not a common one i use.

cheshire1986
03-02-2012, 19:23
putty putty putty its gotta be ! i recently tried the new nash one, when they say it sticks like s**t to a blanket they dont lie, i still cant get the stuff off my carpet u have been warned

John
03-02-2012, 20:02
The next question i think sam will be which putty to use :think2:

Theres loads on the market some good, some not so good.

As chesh said nash putty is v.good, along with the dark matter putty from korda :cool:

crazyspodder
03-02-2012, 20:53
Putty all the way for me, you can balance your rig exactly how you want it.

Ive tried the korda sinkers but thought they were a pile of cr*p! Nowhere near as heavy as the same amount of putty if you know what i mean. And you can only use them once.

Lee

The Lead Shed
03-02-2012, 23:17
I use putty if using the chod or hinge stiff rig and a little 'mouse dropping' sized piece of putty on my supple rig, but other rigs iv used (and still do to a degree) require the use of a split shot, iv found a bb shot ideal for most shop brought pop ups in 14mm

jonny vegas
04-02-2012, 12:56
again putty, (i use the kryston stuff), it more line friendly than nipping shot on the hooklink material,, i,m not a great pop up user to be honest, like andy i prefer a snowman set up 18mm bottom bait with a 16mm pop up,, i find this balances things just right for me. :cool:

sam400
06-02-2012, 20:38
Putty it is then! Nice one lads

brian c
27-02-2012, 18:34
putty for me also. nash for me is the best.:cool:

Seankp53
27-02-2012, 23:34
I usually prefer to fish a snowman so do the balancing by trimming that but for singles I use putty too but lately I've been using the wafters which don't need balancing so makes life a lot easier when using a single bait.

Andy

Same as Andy, but don't have wafters, but do the tungsten putty (if needed) for singles, and a normal boilie for snowman.

Sean.

the nowed serpent
27-02-2012, 23:49
A bait you DON'T have Sean :eek::think2:;):lol4::lol4:

Andy

Seankp53
28-02-2012, 00:12
A bait you DON'T have Sean :eek::think2:;):lol4::lol4:

Andy

:rofl: Andy

Sean.

Seankp53
28-02-2012, 00:40
Ok bored and can't sleep - so no change :lol:

Peanut butter and syrup, Anchovy and olive, Colcannon (ok for non Irish bacon, cabbage and onion), Bacon and bananna, just to name a few baits of the anthropomorphic strain, then Belacan (Belcahan) variants too. Btw belacan is Mayalsian dried shrimp paste, bit like Indonesian terasi (trassi in Dutch). Better shaddup now or I'l be banned :lol:

Sean.

the nowed serpent
28-02-2012, 00:47
Ok bored and can't sleep - so no change :lol:

Peanut butter and syrup, Anchovy and olive, Colcannon (ok for non Irish bacon, cabbage and onion), Bacon and bananna, just to name a few baits of the anthropomorphic strain, then Belacan (Belcahan) variants too. Btw belacan is Mayalsian dried shrimp paste, bit like Indonesian terasi (trassi in Dutch). Better shaddup now or I'l be banned :lol:

Sean.

and here's me initially thinking you were making a sandwich for a midnight snack ;)

Andy