PDA

View Full Version : Foul hooked

Pacman
09-02-2012, 15:54
Let's see how honest everyone is! :p

Do you count foul hooked fish?
If no, does the hook HAVE to be in the mouth, or would an inch outside the mouth count as it proves the fish was sniffing around your bait etc;)

John
09-02-2012, 17:17
Let's see how honest everyone is! :p

Do you count foul hooked fish?
If no, does the hook HAVE to be in the mouth, or would an inch outside the mouth count as it proves the fish was sniffing around your bait etc;)

If the hook isnt in the mouth its not hooked for me, simples. By claiming a foul hooked fish your only cheating yourself at the end of the day.

carpfanatic
09-02-2012, 17:22
Here's one for you.... :rofl:

I once did a 33lb Brace in 15 mins off the top.

First fish was a cagey take, wasn't sure if it had taken it, struck, was nailed.

Second fish took it sweet as a nut, hooked in the pec :rofl: :think:

Go figure???

I watched the fish take my bait cleanly and it was a new PB for me the time at 17lb 10oz.

Not foul hooked one fishing on the deck, so can't comment. Only foul hooked 2 off the top, the one above, and the other in a simialr circumstance. They both count on my book :cool:

Bowza
09-02-2012, 17:27
think there is more chance of a fish blowing the bait out from a surface take only for it to snag it in a fin as it turns and dives, purely through the process from surface, less likely on a bottom feed as its blown out and moved on while munching,

watch some under water footage sites, will explain my lame description better

but foul hooked do not count, I even did not submit 2 fish last autumn to the league as they where foul hooked

Bowza

carpfanatic
09-02-2012, 17:31
think there is more chance of a fish blowing the bait out from a surface take only for it to snag it in a fin as it turns and dives, purely through the process from surface, less likely on a bottom feed as its blown out and moved on while munching,

watch some under water footage sites, will explain my lame description better

but foul hooked do not count, I even did not submit 2 fish last autumn to the league as they where foul hooked

Bowza

This is true, but i think in the instances above i had a bit of luck and the fish got rid of the hook during the fight and it lodged in the Pec. Having caught a hell of a lot of fish off the top and only having found they were foul hooked after getting them to the net i think this is more likely. On the two instances i mentioned, there was no way the fish were foul hooked from the off IMO :cool:

Marc
09-02-2012, 17:40
So what about if you get a 'normal' take and it plays fine then you get that feeling down the rod that makes your heart sink then a second later the clutch screams off and the fish is still there but when you get it on the mat you find the hook in the fin.
Does that count?

the nowed serpent
09-02-2012, 17:49
In my book if it's not hooked in the mouth it don't count - simples :!: I'd record it as foulhooked but wouldn't count it as a pb or counting towards anything else

Andy

Bowza
09-02-2012, 18:05
In my book if it's not hooked in the mouth it don't count - simples :!: I'd record it as foulhooked but wouldn't count it as a pb or counting towards anything else

Andy

100% agree

Bowza

carpfanatic
09-02-2012, 18:08
So what about if you get a 'normal' take and it plays fine then you get that feeling down the rod that makes your heart sink then a second later the clutch screams off and the fish is still there but when you get it on the mat you find the hook in the fin.
Does that count?

In my mind it is different, as you haven't seen the take.

The example i mentioned is in the context that i knew that fish was hooked in the right place to start with :cool:

Marc
09-02-2012, 18:19
Fair play, seems like were all a honest bunch :D
For me if i was very confident it was hooked good to start showing hook damage in the mouth, it would be recorded as a fish in the book with a note but if it was a definite fouler from the start then no

crazyspodder
09-02-2012, 20:23
If its not hooked in the mouth then i dont count it as a capture. Even if i thought the hook had pulled and then foul hooked the fish because really, it should have been a lost fish (if you know what i mean!)

Lee

Marc
09-02-2012, 20:39
Yeah fair point, nobody counts fish they lost in the fight.
It's only happened to me on a couple of occasions but they both came when the fishing was good so I didn't cheat myself out of a blank or anything but it has made me think about this and yeah in future they won't count even if I think they were hooked to start. I guess the capture info is still handy, baiting patten location etc as I know the fish were tucking in but that's all I will take

keith wright
09-02-2012, 21:53
in the spirit of sportsmanship, i dont count any fish foul hooked outside the mouth...i once foul hooked a rather large carp which would of smashed my pb from cuttle mill..i netted it, treated the wound and let it be on it s way without weighin or photo....

Carpbreakout
10-02-2012, 09:17
Interesting reading this and there certainly seem to be a lot of people penalising themselves! Its been my experience (primarily with non-carp) that any fish foul hooked is far harder to land than one hooked in the mouth. My personal view is that the important thing is not to be trying to foul hook the fish, assuming that we are all in that category then a fish caught is a fish caught. I would prefer not to have foul hooked it but the fish is caught so counts!
Interestingly viewing an analogy, not really a good one because I don't think we know enough information. If we as humans were being caught would we prefer to be hooked in the mouth or somewhere else? Also a new thought do they fight harder when not foul hooked since they don't feel as much pain or is it just the bulk? Just playing devils advocate since everyone seems to be siding up on the purist side which is a bit holier than thou!!!
:wink:

Paul F
10-02-2012, 11:18
I'm in the "quietly slip it back, and hope to catch it again" camp.
Some people are happy to catch fish at any cost, and some people only want to catch fish by what THEY consider to be fair means.
It doesn't make them "holier than thou", just because they don't follow your idea of what is right or wrong.
Each to their own ;)

dangler
10-02-2012, 11:56
in the spirit of sportsmanship, i dont count any fish foul hooked outside the mouth...i once foul hooked a rather large carp which would of smashed my pb from cuttle mill..i netted it, treated the wound and let it be on it s way without weighin or photo....

Agree with this 100% mate, :cool:

same as the comment from crafty and PaulF.

carpfanatic
10-02-2012, 12:39
Just to clarify what i made an example of earlier - If i knew the fish wasn't hooked in the right place from the off i wouldn't count it as a set in stone capture :cool:

I'd still weigh and photo it, but i'd admit to it being foul hooked :cool: At the end of the day i would weigh and photo it to keep tabs on the fish for the record :cool:

Weed-Camo
10-02-2012, 13:51
Sorry but if I catch a fish then its happy days take a picture and put it back , foul hooked opp's but happy days ( didn't do it on purpose) treat any wound take a pic and put it back , sure most match anglers would never put a foul hooked 12 lb Carp back in to the lake with out it being weighed due to it being foul hooked.:cool:

the nowed serpent
10-02-2012, 13:51
It's where it's hooked when it reaches the net that counts, other than that it's a judgement call as to where the original hookhold was otherwise the next step is to count as "caught" the fish that slips the hook at the net :o :slap: ;)

Give up trying to count any foul hooked fish as caught you're only fooling yourself :yes:

Andy

Weed-Camo
10-02-2012, 14:09
Just a thought but have seen Matt Heyes show foul hooked carp on his shows , didn't seem to upset him to much that it was foul hooked as he was still willing to include it in his show , would I discount a 30lb carp that was foul hooked? would I F:lang:K

the nowed serpent
10-02-2012, 14:44
Just a thought but have seen Matt Heyes show foul hooked carp on his shows , didn't seem to upset him to much that it was foul hooked as he was still willing to include it in his show , would I discount a 30lb carp that was foul hooked? would I F:lang:K

It wouldn't particularly upset me either and yes I would take pics but what I wouldn't do is count it as a pb or enter it into a comp, I guess it's just a matter of personal pride that I prefer to do things properly if others are happy to compromise then it's up to them but I still maintain that ANY fish that is foulhooked isn't fairly caught.

Purely as an example it has been a standing joke amongst the friends I go sea fishing with that I have never caught a 20lb cod, I've probably landed over 200 20lb'ers (I used to work as crew on a charter boat) but they have always been ones that other people have hooked. I've even been out wrecking when people have been bringing up 3 20's on one trace with a pirk and feathers but the only ones I've caught over 20 have been foulhooked by the pirk but to me they don't count as if you count them the next logical step is to target fish for foulhooking and you say to hell with fair angling practices. I'd be prepared to bet that those who count foulhooked fish will also be the same ones who say they would ignore barbless only rules on a fishery and say I don't agree with that so I'm using micro barbs :think2:

As I say a personal take on foulhooking but to me the only ethical approach otherwise where do you draw the line as to what constitutes fair angling :think:

Andy

Paul F
10-02-2012, 15:34
I don't weigh them and I don't photograph them either, just slip 'em straight back.
Yes, sometimes it's a sickener.:td:

jonny vegas
10-02-2012, 15:57
the fact the fish is foul hooked means its not been angled for, therefore shouldnt count to an `angler`.

one of the waters i,m currently fishing, we,re slowly going through the process of trying to indentify and record fish, so, if, i did foul hook the fish, i would weigh and photogragh it, purely for identification purposes.

would i add it to my album??? NO! :cool:

Pacman
10-02-2012, 16:15
the fact the fish is foul hooked means its not been angled for, therefore shouldnt count to an `angler`.

one of the waters i,m currently fishing, we,re slowly going through the process of trying to indentify and record fish, so, if, i did foul hook the fish, i would weigh and photogragh it, purely for identification purposes.

would i add it to my album??? NO! :cool:

Spot on mate :cool: If it was fish caught on my syndi then it would be weighed and photographed, if on a day ticket or club water, maybe, weighed just out of interest. I once foul hooked a low 30lber in France, went back without no pics etc, was also gutted when I saw it was foul hooked.

Weed-Camo
10-02-2012, 16:35
I think your all :happy: Crazy , but hey each to our own :cool:

brian c
13-02-2012, 14:06
If the hook isnt in the mouth its not hooked for me, simples. By claiming a foul hooked fish your only cheating yourself at the end of the day.

have to agree with this too:cool: