PDA

View Full Version : elphicks

brian c
13-02-2012, 12:41
right then guys, who is gonna admit to fishing at elphicks?
some people are against this fishery because of the "wrong uns" it holds. the fish for those who do not know go to 62lb 10oz.
(bearing in mind that Mr carp is not indigenous to these shores).
well i wanted to know so ventured there during late november last year.
this was during the period of really heavy winds we had, gusts up to 60 mph.
anyway, a few guys, 6 including me, were fishing the main lake, (north lake) which is 6 acres.there are also another 6 lakes of varying sizes.
we each had 3 rods each & i think we threw everything at them but between us managed just i fish which was around 18lb in 4 days. so its not that easy!!
the place is very well run, clean & tidy & staff in the shop very helpful selling some tackle & provisions.
bit expensive for a day, (40/24 hrs, 3 rods) but longer sessions work out much cheaper. you have to book in advance & even at that time of year i waited 5 weeks for a slot.
the guys i met, (2 of them) i still keep in touch with & put me onto suffolk water park. (see other review which i will write)
i would recommend it if you want a crack at "the big one" (& you have the money)
brian.

DaveDaveUK
13-02-2012, 15:24
You know what.. have been there a couple of times last year, as its just over an hour for me....

I started off on the plantation lake, did a 3 day stint, came away with 12 fish, the highest being 28lb 10oz... had a great time there, with some good lads..

Then did a stint in Oct on the North Lake... hoping for a big girl.. and i got sweet FA:td: but it got me thinking over the those 3 days how i approach things & what my tactics should be for this year... Don't get me wrong... we all blank.... and i'm happy with how i did things... but i should have maybe stuck to 1 or 2 things, rather than trying everything i knew in the hope of catching one... to me that was my downfall.. over thinking things... :D

Would defo go again... but like you said.. booking the place can be quite a misson in itself..:cool:

brian c
13-02-2012, 15:32
i know what you mean mate. if you had stuck with one thing then you would also have been kicking yourself.
with the 6 of us we tried everything from maggots to boilies to particles to even floaters. fished on the bottom, pop ups & zigs.
they just weren`t playng ball.
i just stick with what i know works & am happy with unless i know or see something different.

dangler
16-02-2012, 15:56
right then guys, who is gonna admit to fishing at elphicks?
some people are against this fishery because of the "wrong uns" it holds. the fish for those who do not know go to 62lb 10oz.
(bearing in mind that Mr carp is not indigenous to these shores).

No problem with it mate, if it was nearer Yorkshire i would go, saying that its no different than going to France to me, you go for the fishing.

Have no problem with Pavarotti's mill neither, if the fish are stocked legally to me they are there to be caught, If you can afford these places and there is a market for it then so be it.

Never been into this KIR mularkey.

Rumpel4skin
02-10-2012, 00:33
I've fished there a couple of times over the years, practicing (when it was held there) for BCAC .

You know what's in there and what your fishing for, so it's down to the individual regarding whether they are wrong'uns or not.

It is a lot of money to fish it and it isn't my usual type of venue, but I would fish there again if going for a social.

carpfanatic
02-10-2012, 01:20
The way i look at this 'wrong un' debate is this - It is all a load of rubbish in my opinion. Carp are non native, end of. Not sure what the history of the Elphicks fish is with regards to being stocked illegally. One thing i will say though, i am strongly against people flouting the rules of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries act regarding Section 30's and fish movement legislation. It is there for a reason, to keep track of what comes from where and to aid bio-security in a bid to keep our fisheries clear of diseases such as KHV, SVC, VHS etc. Moving fish 'under the radar' is bad practice and is disrespectful to both the fish and the water in question receiving said fish and also surrounding waters.

If i had access to it i would fish it - However i don't.

There is the same debate with Northern Fisheries such as Emmotland and Willows Syndicate as the fish are from Croatian descent.

There seems to be this 'elitist' nonsense that if a fish isn't from prime Leney old school stock, then it's not legitimate. What you have to remember when said and done, is, it is the demand for more and more Carping waters that has caused this influx of new strains in the first place, as waters demanded fish with better growth potential and so on. In some respects, it has come round full circle in my opinion and we now have prime aquaculturists such as VS Fisheries, who produce fish from various different strains on a cyclical basis, meaning each batch of progeny is that bit different and they all possess increasingly good growth potential x longevity, which is what fisheries really need, rather than just producing a load of simmo's or pasty looking things that will go from 0-40lb in no time and be dead within 10 years.

Pacman
02-10-2012, 01:26
The way i look at this 'wrong un' debate is this - It is all a load of rubbish in my opinion. Carp are non native, end of. Not sure what the history of the Elphicks fish is with regards to being stocked illegally. One thing i will say though, i am strongly against people flouting the rules of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries act regarding Section 30's and fish movement legislation. It is there for a reason, to keep track of what comes from where and to aid bio-security in a bid to keep our fisheries clear of diseases such as KHV, SVC, VHS etc. Moving fish 'under the radar' is bad practice and is disrespectful to both the fish and the water in question receiving said fish and also surrounding waters.

If i had access to it i would fish it - However i don't.

There is the same debate with Northern Fisheries such as Emmotland and Willows Syndicate as the fish are from Croatian descent.

There seems to be this 'elitist' nonsense that if a fish isn't from prime Leney old school stock, then it's not legitimate. What you have to remember when said and done, is, it is the demand for more and more Carping waters that has caused this influx of new strains in the first place, as waters demanded fish with better growth potential and so on. In some respects, it has come round full circle in my opinion and we now have prime aquaculturists such as VS Fisheries, who produce fish from various different strains on a cyclical basis, meaning each batch of progeny is that bit different and they all possess increasingly good growth potential x longevity, which is what fisheries really need, rather than just producing a load of simmo's or pasty looking things that will go from 0-40lb in no time and be dead within 10 years.

Dan, this thread is about Elphicks and not about wrong'uns right'uns (Even though you have said you'd fish it)

So if anyone wants to comment, please let it about the lake in question

:bt:

carpfanatic
02-10-2012, 01:27
Dan, this thread is about Elphicks and not about wrong'uns right'uns (Even though you have said you'd fish it)

So if anyone wants to comment, please let it about the lake in question

:bt:

The first couple of lines of the thread are regarding the origin of the Elphicks fish - It was part of the original post :think2: Therefore opening it up for debate, no? :think2:

the nowed serpent
02-10-2012, 01:51
The first couple of lines of the thread are regarding the origin of the Elphicks fish - It was part of the original post :think2: Therefore opening it up for debate, no? :think2:

Dan the first line is a question which Brian obviously wants an answer to whilst the second line is a statement which he has said isn't the question for this topic so :bt: please. If you want to discuss wrong'uns there are other topics available or start a new one to see how others feel about it.

Andy

Bluelabel
02-10-2012, 16:44
If I could get onto Elphicks I'd fish it..... I've tried contacting the water and left messages after the phone was ignored.... As an angler not party to or rich enough to afford the 500 + a year tickets the "Special" waters command I'll go after lumps where I find em..... As has been said, the Carp as a species isn't actually native to this country, so if it was a direct descendant of summat introduced in the 12th century or inroduced last year, to me it's still a carp, and as such, no less a challenge to catch... Hell it's not the fish's fault is it....? TBH I see it as cutting off your own nose to spite yer face...

Or put it another way.... if some ficticious "unscrupulous owner" of a heritage water stocked a "Wrong 'Un" without your knowledge and you caught it.... would it detract form the pleasure of outwitting and landing such a prize....??? would you discard the memory of the fish because it was a foreign one...?

I do believe there is value in retaining the bloodlines of British fish, but does that make it wrong to stock a water with foreign strains.... I don't think so, we already fish waters stocked with Simmo's F1/2/3 fish, so why not a few selected & vetted foreign ones?

There will come a point in time where the two will mix, but with the restrictions in importing foreign fish, then I see that the gene pool of English fish is large enough to withstand the odd interloper, for all we know it may benefit the bloodlines... sorry if my views offend, but it's just another way of looking at it I suppose....

(and I'm still trying to get onto Elphick, wish they'd answer the bloody phone)

CrazedCarper
02-10-2012, 17:52
Couldnt give a rats todger if the fish in the lake were put in legally :lol: its stolen fish i have an issue with,, moved from rivers etc but i wont go on,, dont want the mods chewing on my ear aswell!:eek:

Elphicks,, has some cracking fish, one of those venues ive never got round too, theres so many to choose from these days!, Pavvys mill,, got an open invite to go there for a bash which i think i will make good on at some point next year. Thanks for the mini write up Bry, always good to hear about the places that do provide a service,, instead of hearing about the ones that dont.:clap:

Bluelabel
02-10-2012, 17:56
If you want big fish and decent facilities then Bluebell is worth a look altho' it does attract the odd numpty:p

CrazedCarper
02-10-2012, 17:58
I know Tony at Bluebells,, not far from me,, yet again another venue i never seem to get too but definatlly a cracking place. being smack bang in the middle of the coutry (near enough) im surrounded by venues! i need another lifetime to get round them all :lol:

sam400
03-10-2012, 12:48
I fished elphicks a fortnight ago went on prairie lake which is there runs lake it was mainly a social so suited us.

We did 36hrs which cost 35 so not too bad. There was a very cold north wind blowing a hoolie the first day so action was a bit slow but made up for it on the 2nd day the 4 of us had several doubles each the biggest was 17lb fish were all in good condition and a good variety of.
Mirrors commons ghost and grass carp were all landed.

The place is absolutely immaculate
but a bit artificial AstroTurf in the swims etc not my cup of tea.
On the plus side the toilets are brand new, the cafe is spot on they do breakfasts and main meals. Also security is good you have to drive thru electric gates operated by the bailiff.
There are drop off points nr most of the swims so you dump your kit then park up.

All in all I'd recommend it made a nice change but wouldn't want to fish it regularly not that I could afford it and as said previously you have to book many weeks in advance.

Sam