PDA

View Full Version : Winter fishing - Being sensible and keeping warm

carpfanatic
14-02-2012, 19:16
In light of the tragic news that an angler has lost his live whilst doing an overnighter on a river recently, it seems appropriate that a few reminders be posted up about the things that you have to take in to consideration when fishing in the Colder months.

Firstly and most importantly clothing.

Layering is very important. To start with you want a good quality thermal underlayer next to your skin. Doesn't matter where you buy it from, it will do the same job. The Thermal underlayer acts to whip moisture away from the skin, to avoid you getting cold. Next, dependant upon the temperature, i usually put on a bog standard Shirt and a pair of fleece type jogging bottoms, tucking the shirt in to these, followed by a good quality long sleeved jumper, again tucking that in. This prevents a gap forming if you weren't to tuck them in, which could allow cold air in. If it is really cold i will even double up on jogging bottoms. It is important to wear a couple of pairs of socks, one thinner pair and then a proper wooly/fleece pair. I'd advise tucking your joggers in to the socks too
Now you want to be starting on your outer layers. You can get thermal waterproof trousers or 'salopettes' from most tackle dealers. These often come in a set with salopettes, fleece and waterproof jacket and even a shirt as standard. Next put on your fleece and then the salopettes. You want your fleece to be inside the salopettes, not outside. Then you can put on your main waterproof coat. It is very important you are totally waterproof when open to the elements. You will also require some head gear and a scarf is also advisable if it's really cold. You can aquire good wooly hats from most tackle dealers. The most body heat is lost through your head so keep your noggin covered!! Gloves can be a bit of a pain in the arse when your fishing when sorting rigs out and stuff, but i'd advise carrying a pair and wearing them when you can.

Footwear

Your summer Bivvy slippers are no good now. You need a good qualtiy pair of boots. Preferably fleece lined, but the most important thing is they are waterproof! Getting your feet wet and cold is not good.

.........Right on to someone else regarding appropriate over night tackle for winter :cool:

dangler
14-02-2012, 20:29
Overnight tackle.

Unless it is extreme i fish under a brolly with the front zipped off. If the wind, rain or sleet is coming directly at me i drop it down as low as the front will go and may will put the sides on, i never though have the door on.
For me winter is the only time of year i use the groundsheet, stops any moisture coming up and makes it warmer.

Next a good quality bedchair, well insulated with padding, mine is a Nash indulgence (not the wideboy), simply the comfiest bed chair i have ever owned. Failing that, put one of those padded camping sleeping mats on the bedchair.

Then the most important bit of kit of all. A 5 season sleeping bag, do not believe the hype that some of the 3 or 4 season ones are warm enough, they are not. I have a Fox Ventec, been out in minus -10 and no problems.

There is a massive difference between being comfortably warm and waking up at 3.00am with the shivvers. You will get a far better nights sleep if you are warm.

The next thing which is a must is a hat, keep your head covered at all times even when in the bag, amazing how much heat you lose from your head.

Another thing i take is a Trakker bed chair cover, brilliant for when you have your arms outside the bag having a warm drink. this little bit of cover really helps.

For cooking i use a petrol stove, last year i was the only one on the pond who could heat the kettle, all the other lads gas canisters had frozen solid, even in the vans some of them fish from.

So, thats me in a winter, keeping warm and comfortable is priority. The fishing is easy if you are sorted, your mind can concentrate, all the little things are no problem.

Leave cooking and any other advice for the next contributor.

the nowed serpent
14-02-2012, 22:38
As far as cooking goes it really pays in very cold weather to have proper food to eat not just pot noodles and crisps - fresh pre-cooked food will last 2-3 days in weather like we have had lately so for me it's things like goulash, curry, spag bol, stews you need something with a high calorific value this time of the year and of course the ubiquitous bacon sarnie for breakfast :yes: plenty of hot drinks tea, coffee, cup-a-soup and the like. It can be handy this time of the year to have a stainless steel flask to put boiling water in so if anyone is in dire need of a hot drink you don't have to wait for a kettle to boil. Another good thing is a hot water bottle if you are in any doubt about your winter gear and hand warmers my preference being the type that have a ceramic burner and run on lighter fluid as they stay alight better than the ones that run on carbon/charcoal type fingers.

If you wake up feeling cold put a kettle on and go for a walk up and down the bank to get the blood flowing and ALWAYS take a full change of clothing in case of getting soaked through. If in any doubt about someone becoming hypothermic pack up go back to the car and go home - it's just not worth risking your life on the offchance of catching a fish :td:

Andy

jonny vegas
14-02-2012, 23:11
superb thread and great posts fella,s!!:clap::clap::clap:

it doesnt take long for the cold to set in, and catches a lot of anglers out,,

with suffering from mild arthiritus,, i always layer up,, and prefer an all in one type of suit, in the winter months,,

heres a link for some quality clothing,

http://www.sealskinz.com/

i have the socks, while not cheap, they are a godsend, jv :cool:

CrazedCarper
14-02-2012, 23:17
Yep i have to agree with JV here,, absolutlly brilliant posts containing sound advice to any anglers thinking of braving the winter on the bank.

:clap::clap:

John-B
18-02-2012, 22:15
Hi guys, just thought I'd add a little bit to this, Please don't be tempted to light your stove inside your bivvy to keep you warm when going to sleep, the results can be quite sever from carbon monoxide poisoning or even death, Personally there's no stove goes anywhere near my bivvy after an accident a few years ago which involved my bivvy going up in flames with me inside it while switching stove on to make a brew on it's very first outing and a loss of 350 quid.

something I find useful which I take with me all year round are a few old towels, if you're lucky enough to catch a fish or have been washing up your pots and pans etc it is all to easy to just wipe your wet hands down your trousers or your top which ultimately creates dampness and cold, just wipe down with an old towel and you'll be ok.

carpfanatic
23-02-2012, 18:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IiVx0rYY8&feature=youtu.be

Thought this would be a laugh in the context of the thread :lmao: