PDA

View Full Version : going backwards

steve3100
21-04-2012, 13:25
well guys i think im finally going backwards with my fishing:o i started out fishing match style poles, feeder and waggler fishing which over the winter months i always go back to doing as the lakes i fish for carp get rock hard and i dont enjoy winter carp fishing.

but im finding it harder to drag myself back into the carp fishing for 2 reasons:

i do really enjoy match style fishing im getting so much enjoyment out of it at the moment.

and 2nd reason is time, time is my enemy at the moment with having a young family spending a day or 2 away from home on the bank is almost impossible as i also work mon-fri. recently when i have got the carp rods out im now just as happy to catch a few singles or doubles rather than chasing the bigger 20s and 30s that i can fish for within my club ticket.

the last time i done a night on the bank was august last year which i didnt enjoy because i have to turn up late on a fri afternoon then get home asap on the sat morning.

but im planning my first night on the bank in the next week or 2 fingers crossed i do start enjoying my carp fishing again otherwise the gear is going for sale:(:(

anybody else gone through phases like this?

carpfanatic
21-04-2012, 13:58
well guys i think im finally going backwards with my fishing:o i started out fishing match style poles, feeder and waggler fishing which over the winter months i always go back to doing as the lakes i fish for carp get rock hard and i dont enjoy winter carp fishing.

but im finding it harder to drag myself back into the carp fishing for 2 reasons:

i do really enjoy match style fishing im getting so much enjoyment out of it at the moment.

and 2nd reason is time, time is my enemy at the moment with having a young family spending a day or 2 away from home on the bank is almost impossible as i also work mon-fri. recently when i have got the carp rods out im now just as happy to catch a few singles or doubles rather than chasing the bigger 20s and 30s that i can fish for within my club ticket.

the last time i done a night on the bank was august last year which i didnt enjoy because i have to turn up late on a fri afternoon then get home asap on the sat morning.

but im planning my first night on the bank in the next week or 2 fingers crossed i do start enjoying my carp fishing again otherwise the gear is going for sale:(:(

Got to give you a bit of advise here mate.

I have had the same over the past few years. To put it simply, sometimes i'm raring to go on a session Carping, some time i can't be arsed.

I class myself as an all round angler. You never really loose the desire to partake in certain aspects of our sport i don't think, you just loose your mojo with certain ones every now and again.

My take on it is that if i want to go fishing, i'm able to do what i want when i feel like it. I have built up gear so that i can have a days float fishing, pole fishing on a lake or the canal, or s=do a bit of river fishing if i want. On the contrary if i want to go bivvy up for a few days i can. Like you say, some times, time can be an issue, but every now and again you'll get 'the urge', so whatever you do, don't sell your gear. Keep it and then when you fancy it, it is there and you then can have the luxury of getting up and doing whatever you fancy :cool: Remember you can always do day sessions on runs waters for Carp :cool:

When i go Carping it is rare i don't take my waggler rod to be fair, as where i've been fishing, it's nice just to catch some decent Roach in the evening after setting your traps for the Carp :cool:

Just persevere mate :cool:

the nowed serpent
21-04-2012, 13:58
Must admit this has never been a problem for me but since last summer I have been limited to the amount of time I can spend on the bank but I have still enjoyed the day sessions that I have been mainly forced to fish. I've not enjoyed catching lots of small fish since I first started carp fish back in the mists of time and I will always prefer to land one decent fish over any period than lots of little'uns. The one thing you can pretty much guarantee though is if you sell your carp gear now at some point in the not to distant future you will regret it, just do the sort of fishing you enjoy at the moment and then even if you only get the odd chance to spend a night on the bank at least you can go for the chance of a lump or two :tu:

Andy

John
21-04-2012, 16:57
Steve dont sell your gear mate, you will regret it, big time.

Its happened to me twice, 12 years ago i sold all my gear, and that was a massive mistake as i was buying it all again 18 months later.

And 2 years ago i didnt go fishing for 9 months, but i just put my gear away and forgot about it till the urge came along to go again.

But if you do sell up mate, send me a list before listing it :rofl:

;)

steve3100
21-04-2012, 21:37
cheers guys for the support just hope my first session of the year goes well cant see me catching as the lakes i fish still nothing been out since last year. but if i enjoy the time on the bank thats a big step in the right direction.

might even go to a few local day tickets over night just to get a pull on my line;)

gary cac
21-04-2012, 21:56

im in the same boat pal i fish most friday nights home for twelve sat i find its ok been doing it for years allso go out monday and wensday nights in the summer

CrazedCarper
21-04-2012, 22:05
Steve... 1 word for you mate STALKING.

When times of the essence youve got to maximise what you have got, walk your chosen lakes with your polaroids,, trickle bait in,, climb trees and find the spots i know a guy that does that and surface fishing only due to his lack of time, he actually surface fishes all night in the warmer months, and hes got some awesome captures to prove its a method not to be sniffed at :cool:

As john says,, stick your gear in the cupboard if its getting it to ya, youll come back round to it mate!!

We all go through it thats for sure,, i have, but i seriouslly think you should just maybe adjust your approach to get more out of it :cool:

Hope some of that helps matey

jonny vegas
22-04-2012, 07:59
i agree with john on this steve,,,
family first steve!! always!!!
but selling your gear would be a mistake,, just pack it away till you,re ready and get the `buzz` back again!!

i know loads of lads who have sold up,, and then struggle to get a decent set up together again!

i think we all go through the doldrums at some point, i,m going through it now,, spent 5 hours down the pond yesterday,, seen at least 6 fish, all mid 20,s, but just couldnt be bothered setting up!
go fishing for you,, yourself, it doesnt matter what species or style it is,, its for your pleasure mate, no one elses,

just get out there and enjoy it!

Carpyjon
22-04-2012, 15:22
I know how you feel matey. About 15 years ago I actually put the gear away and missed a whole season.

The best advice I can give really is to say not to force it. If you fancy targeting other species, then do! There is a lot of fun to be had by scaling down your gear and going match fishing. Or, as someone else said I think, wait for the weather to warm up a bit, and go stalking.

But, I think that you will come back round to carp again. it may mean a season on something different, but the itch will come back...and then it will be stronger than before!

Bowza
22-04-2012, 15:26
Pack the carp gear away , don't sell it, its a major financial drain to replace what you build up over many years, and one day you will get up and think I could just do with a 48hour session on X and have no kit to go,

bowza

steve3100
22-04-2012, 19:01
im going for an overnighter in a couple of weeks time and if i cant get my head into it after the comments from you guys think i will leave the gear in the cupboard until i get the itch again 1 day.

seems like most anglers fall out with angling at some point which ever form of it we do.

thanks for the comments guys:cool::cool:

Paul F
22-04-2012, 21:55
I can only echo what most others have said; If you need a break, stash the gear, but don't sell it. You will regret it!
I almost chucked the towel in after 20 years intense carp angling, as I couldn't stand to fish amongst complete morons any longer!!!
I would drive an hour plus to my chosen water, set up, get peed off by some idiot casting into my swim, pack up and go home! (15 years ago I would have taken them gently by the throat to discus ettiquet (sp?) but I am getting on a bit now.)
As everyone is probably sick of hearing, I switched to fishing for barbel for a few years and really got the fishing bug back.
I still fish for carp in close season, and on holiday, and I really enjoy it again, but now I stick to day sessions on quieter waters.
Yeah, I rarely catch proper lumps these days, but I've done all that battering (time wise lol) the circuit waters for big fish, and now I just do it for the pleasure of catching a few kippers.
If you decide to switch to days, you have to maximise your efforts and get out of the camping mentality!
When I catch more in a day than the campers do all weekend, it gives me a proper buzz lol!

It's only a hobby. Family should always come first as many divorsed carper can tell you

jonny vegas
23-04-2012, 02:00
just to add to what paul has said i know 2 very, very good carp anglers who seldom fish for carp now, only when its of interest to them on their terms,,

they say,, " life,s too short to fish for just one species"

a 3lb roach is far more a specimen than a 30lb carp!

just enjoy your fishing steve whatever your pleasure! :tu:

Seankp53
27-04-2012, 00:27
Steve,
We've had some good chats over the last few years, so I feel I owe it to you to voice my opinion.
Go where your head takes you, but do it rationally. May I suggest you work out the pro's and con's of selling gear that will definately be more expensive in the near future. But hey-ho, if you decide to change your tack, may I wish you all the very best :yes: I have fished for more than 56 years now, and have had many such quandries, some induced by family responsibilities and also time/financial deterents.
Having chatted with you for a long while now, I feel you will know where your heart lies, but please do not be too impetious (i.e. sell gear unless you are sure).
Whichever way you decide, I hope that your angling will bring you joy :tu:

Sean.

steve3100
27-04-2012, 21:18
Sean:

Many thanks for the kind words one of the most genuine post I've read on a forum. After starting this thread I have made a decision what to do, I'm going to keep the gear and just use it when ever I get the chance I'm not going to put pressure on myself or family to get out 'carp fishing' I'm just going to go fishing when I can and any type of fishing is better than none. As I consider myself an all round angler I'm able and just as happy going for a day on the pole. Over the next few months I will enjoy any fishing that comes my way. Think things will get better on the carp front once the boys get older and are able to come along more often.

Thanks to all the guys who posted in here.

Seankp53
27-04-2012, 21:23
Steve,

Many thanks for you kind words.

As said before, I'm glad you have decided to keep on some gear, but wish you well on whatever fishing exploits you embark upon :tu:

Sean.

P.S. Don't be a stranger here - imho always welcome :tu:

steve3100
30-05-2012, 15:51
well guys after my first session on the bank in a long time i really enjoyed being back in the bivvy again. i managed to blag a 2 night session as well which made it all the better.

although i blanked i lost 2 good fish but i was the only person to even get a take let alone land any so on the day my tactics were spot on.

it was great that i managed to 2 nights it gave me time to get sorted and settled in and think about my fishing rather than anything else.

ive already planned my next trip which will be a single night but at least im out there and fishing:cool::cool: