PDA

View Full Version : tactics help.....

gordy
26-07-2012, 23:48
begining of week my local which was almost impossible to fish due to weed has been mechanically raked / cut ... and now lies like camoed snipers all round the lakeside .. going for a dayer on sun and was wondering what tactics you guys would use and why... water still murky but could settle by sun. thnx

John
27-07-2012, 00:01
Ive got to be honest i wouldn't fish for a cpl of weeks myself.

the nowed serpent
27-07-2012, 01:30
When we've been clearing the moat at Michelham Priory during the summer, I have caught fish with 24 hours of raking and cutting when fishing in the areas that have had the lake bed thoroughly disturbed. The method used has been to spread a thin layer of bait over a fairly wide area and then to concentrate over a few spots either where we see some disturbance or where we know the fish regularly forage. During the summer the fish seem far more willing to feed after disturbances like this.

As you can see from the pic there are a lot of weed and water lilies in the water so the disturbance is fairly drastic.

Andy

gordy
28-07-2012, 02:44
john... if its between me n gardening n helping do sunday dinner or having a go n blanking... well its got to be the din Nahhh lol. just like raking a swim but on a larger scale. nowed really gorgeous bit of water there m 8ty.. what dates the building ... 1600s ?. and a thnx for the tips . gonna use stikky baits cloudy liquid bloodworm n pellet and a bit of source down the line. got some chum mixers flavoured up in case they pop up for air lol. nite m8tys.

the nowed serpent
28-07-2012, 11:45
The building you can see in the background is just the gatehouse over the moat, parts inside the moat date back to 1200but other buildings were added through to the 18C. The moat itself is the largest Medieval Water filled moat in GB and the second largest in Europe.

http://sussexpast.co.uk/properties-to-discover/michelham-priory/gallery-mp

This link shows more pics of the site, all the buildings shown are inside the moat apart from the stoneage mud huts, the moat encloses about 5 acres of land so is quite an impressive feat of Medieval engineering as well as this there is also a working water mill on the moat which runs most weekends. FYI the carp go to just over 30lb as do the pike :o

Andy

sam400
28-07-2012, 15:23
How do you fish it Andy is it a day ticket?
They do a good ghost walk there apparently, I am a sceptic but sounds like a laugh!

Sam

the nowed serpent
28-07-2012, 18:18
They do sell restricted day tickets but as we do the work on the moat we get to fish for free and in places not usually allowed ;)

Andy

sam400
28-07-2012, 21:46
Nice perk! I will have to look into it it's only up the road from me and looks like a lovely place to fish!

Sorry for the thread hijack

Sam

the nowed serpent
28-07-2012, 22:36
Nice perk! I will have to look into it it's only up the road from me and looks like a lovely place to fish!

Sorry for the thread hijack

Sam

It's not an easy water Sam - very shallow with deeeeep silt in a lot of places but aesthetically a fantastic place just make sure there are no events taking place when you go otherwise you get loads of people walking around.

Andy

sam400
29-07-2012, 11:27
Ok cheers Andy if I do get round to fishing it I will know who to ask!

Sam

gordy
30-07-2012, 20:54
wasnt as bad as 1st described to me... managed to pull 2 out of the weed thats left ( 1x 14 and 1 x 16).. my son had 1 at 16 and his friend had 2 at 16 and 18. there was also a 33 came out during the nite.. loved pics of michelham nowed :).. many thnx all :tu:

the nowed serpent
30-07-2012, 21:43
Well dangled Gordy always seems more rewarding when you manage to winkle a few out when fishing in adverse conditions :cool:

Andy