PDA

View Full Version : Bait for spodding etc

Omni
10-08-2012, 09:52
I currently only ever use a PVA bag with a mixture of goodies in or a string of pellets/boilies on some PVA tape when casting out. Or if I'm fishing the margins I'll throw down a bed of a few pellets.

However I notice others with big buckets of bait, throwing in handful after handful or constantly spodding. I often think to myself that they are over feeding and the fish will never find their hook bait in amongst it all, but then I also see them have better results than me and I probably need to follow suit so I'm about to purchase a Spomb.

Now I have a big bag of all sorts of different boilies, pellets, pastes, lotions and potions but these are all pretty costly so I use them sparingly. As much as I want to catch some fish I am also a bit of a minge bag and begrudge throwing in a bag of pellets worth nearly 10 when it isn't even attached to my hook.

Anyway, to my point... My questions are these...

1. How much baiting/spodding is too much? Is there such a thing as too much?

2. How often do you bait your swim? Every 2 hours or more frequently?

3. Where are the very cheapest places to buy all the ingredients to whip up a mean bucket of spod mix?

If I was to use the baits from my local tackle shop to fill up a bucket it would probably set me back about 50 and to throw this all into the water as free food for the fish during just 1 session seems insane.

Any help and advice would be great :-)

Cheers.

Malc
10-08-2012, 11:57
I currently only ever use a PVA bag with a mixture of goodies in or a string of pellets/boilies on some PVA tape when casting out. Or if I'm fishing the margins I'll throw down a bed of a few pellets.

However I notice others with big buckets of bait, throwing in handful after handful or constantly spodding. I often think to myself that they are over feeding and the fish will never find their hook bait in amongst it all, but then I also see them have better results than me and I probably need to follow suit so I'm about to purchase a Spomb.

Now I have a big bag of all sorts of different boilies, pellets, pastes, lotions and potions but these are all pretty costly so I use them sparingly. As much as I want to catch some fish I am also a bit of a minge bag and begrudge throwing in a bag of pellets worth nearly 10 when it isn't even attached to my hook.

Anyway, to my point... My questions are these...

1. How much baiting/spodding is too much? Is there such a thing as too much?

2. How often do you bait your swim? Every 2 hours or more frequently?

3. Where are the very cheapest places to buy all the ingredients to whip up a mean bucket of spod mix?

If I was to use the baits from my local tackle shop to fill up a bucket it would probably set me back about 50 and to throw this all into the water as free food for the fish during just 1 session seems insane.

Any help and advice would be great :-)

Cheers.

I always used to use bags or stingers, then started using sticks. However I started spodding at Horseshoe cos I was told the fish are always hungry, and it worked, had a few nice fish. One weekend I went with a boillie only approach and although I didn't catch as many fish I certainly caught better ones.

To answer your questions, and I'm no expert....lol.

1. Really depends on the water your fishing, some waters respond to lots of bait whereas some will not.

2. There again depends on the water.

3. For my spod mixes all I use is Hemp, sweetcorn, Tuna, crunched up boilies, groats, pigeon cond seed and vitalin. Groats, Hemp,pigeon cond and vitalin I get from a pet shop, sweetcorn I get from Aldis(frozen) To make a mix doesn't need to be expensive but obviously if going to a tackle shop it will cost.

Sorry if I haven't been much help.

Malc

John
10-08-2012, 12:06
:gp: malc :cool:

Yep id go with what malc has said, it really all does depend on the water, i fish stiks myself & favor this over spodding to be honest, however i will spod on longer sessions.

Rule of thumb i suppose is you cant take out what you have put in.

Cheapest places to get stuff for your spod mix would possibly be an animal feed shop of some sort, you will be able to get your molasses from here aswell :tu:

Have a look though at the new cotswold range of particles, 10 for a 3 kilo bag, not to bad i supose, and you can bulk this out with pellet,boilies etc.

Omni
10-08-2012, 12:14
Cheers fellas.

I suppose making it from all sorts of sweetcorn and hemp etc wont be too costly as that stuffs generally cheap in bulk. It was just that I've often seen people chucking in piles and piles of chopped boilies and pellets which I know arnt cheap

Unless anyone knows somewhere that does large quantities of low quality pellets for dirt cheap that can just be used as feed?

I'll take a stroll round my closest pet shop, costco etc and grab loads of the ingrediants mentioned above.

Thanks again!

John
10-08-2012, 12:19
Cheers fellas.

I suppose making it from all sorts of sweetcorn and hemp etc wont be too costly as that stuffs generally cheap in bulk. It was just that I've often seen people chucking in piles and piles of chopped boilies and pellets which I know arnt cheap

Unless anyone knows somewhere that does large quantities of low quality pellets for dirt cheap that can just be used as feed?

I'll take a stroll round my closest pet shop, costco etc and grab loads of the ingrediants mentioned above.

Thanks again!

Just take a walk down a few of your nearest tesco aisles :tu: chick peas, rice pudding, own brand tuna/salmon in tins, beans, own brand corn or a bag of frozen corn from iceland/farm foods, the list is endless really :tu:

Take a look at this thread here, it may interest you. ;) http://www.craftycarping.co.uk/showthread.php/845-carping-on-a-small-budget-supermarket-baits

Also you will be surprised how much a kilo of chopped boilies will bulk out a spod mix, though i dont generally use boilies in mine, only a cpl of handfuls of whole and chops, the base is hemp and other seeds, and i stodge it up on the day with either a few handfuls of pellet or vitalin :tu:

Pacman
10-08-2012, 15:32
Well mate, firstly my advice is don't go and buy a spomb, the reason being if you haven't spodded before then I assume you haven't got a spod rod/reel either?

But, what I do suggest is, either, get a mini spomb, but I'd personally just get one of the mini spods, plenty about but I have the Fox one, this is easily castable with your carp rods and so you'll still be able to get a bed of bait out :cool: If after a couple of sessions and you feel that the spodding has worked (and you enjoyed doing it), you can then look at investing in a spod rod/reel

As for the mix, well, if it's edible chuck it in:p

Maize, a brilliant spod item and you can usually get a 25k sack for around 9 quid.
Pellets, without knwoing where you are from, I'm sure there is a supplier around you and get yourself a mixed bag of various sizes.
Vitalin, again another superb spod ingrediant to help bulk it out.
Frozen sweet corn, cheap as chips:cool:
Chick peas, a tin is about 30p, chuck 1 or 2 tins in:tu:

If you just put 1 1/2kg of the above ingrediants together you've got a 6kg mix, it's amazing how much 6k really is, again I'd probably use 1/2 of it.

One of the biggest mistakes I see carpers doing is turn up at a lake and then spod the hell out of a lake because "carp will only feed on a bed of bait", some lakes respond big time to spodding (Horseshoe and Drayton to name 2) but others it can kill your chances so b careful ;)

Ryanwilt
13-08-2012, 15:21
Dont know if this will help much, but when i spod or put alot of smaller baits out i tend to catch more fish but smaller fish. however when i use boilies and stringers(18mm), it tends to catch the larger fish but not as many of them. Just fought id menssion this as some of the waters i fish people moan beacuse they havent had a fish over 10lb but they are only fishing sweetcorn. whereas i fished the lake with 18mm boilies and caught around 6 fish all over 12lb

Hope this helps :cool:

Paul F
13-08-2012, 21:06
On the other hand, I caught my PB on a 12mm and a bag with two broken baits in it, if I remember correctly :eek:
You can put it in, but you can't take it out, as John says :cool:
Just try doing the opposite of everyone else.

keith wright
13-08-2012, 21:21
i really do dislike using spods and spodding, unless you are fishing a well stocked pool or a large type lake , where the fish move in shoals and your plan is to fill it in to hold the fish in your area , i feel it does ya no favours...
i do still own spod rod , but cant remember the last time i used it..i choose to use my catapult /throwing stick to get my freebies out..
not sure if this is down to the low stocked type of waters i fish, but i feel the sound of a spod hitting the water rings alarm bells to the wary carp i fish for....

Omni
13-08-2012, 21:44
Hmmm, lots to digest.

I'll grab a spod + marker rod and a spomb I think, so at least iv got the option if I'm having no luck on the day.

I'll also grab loads of the cheap super market baits suggested above instead of lobbing in tonnes of pellets and boilies.

Thanks everybody, very helpful!

the nowed serpent
13-08-2012, 22:28
The down side on a lot of waters to spodding is that the other fish that like spod mix are the dreaded bream :o I tend to use my spod rod and Spomb to get boilies and occasionally pellets out on waters where the birds are drawn to catapults and throwing sticks . . . oh and to put out dog biscuits at distances I can't reach with a catapult ;) hardly ever use spod mix as I just HATE bream :lol:

Andy

Paul F
14-08-2012, 08:02
Hmmm, lots to digest.

I'll grab a spod + marker rod and a spomb I think, so at least iv got the option if I'm having no luck on the day.

I'll also grab loads of the cheap super market baits suggested above instead of lobbing in tonnes of pellets and boilies.

Thanks everybody, very helpful!

Now a marker rod is probably one of the most important pieces of kit you can have, but that's another subject :D

John
16-12-2012, 10:01
Weve seen it many times on dvds of anglers adding salt to there spod mixes/bag mixes.

But what about sugar :think2: we know carp like sweet things, but how much would be to much sugar :think2:

Bluelabel
16-12-2012, 10:37
I have a spod rod/reel and I rarely use it as a spodder... I have used it with a spomb to get bait out to beat the birdlife and as such it works perfectly.... for a spod mix I'd use hemp corn/maize some pellet tuna and chops with a few whole boilies... have a wander round your local feed merchants... there's plenty of options but what I will say is make sure your particles are properly soaked and boiled before mixing it up....:cool::cool::cool::p

Carpyjon
17-12-2012, 11:15
Spodding is certainly an integral part of my fishing. Particles (hemp / chick peas), pellet, sweet corn / maize are all great (inexpensive) ways of boosting the attration in your swim. And if you are fishing at distance, then the spod / spomb is the only way pretty much of getting it out there. Doesnt mean you have to be piling it in though.

It helps spread out the bait in the area, and gets their heads down for when they come across your offering...

flashgordon1952
15-04-2013, 22:53
i use country mix a lot with added molasses(goat and sheep feed) then add sweetcorn chilli,and salt.
then whatever i have to hand..

cheshire1986
16-04-2013, 12:39
i vary rarely spod any more, more due to my sessions being quick overnighters so im trying to find the fish and fishing for a bite rather than a baiting campaign and bringing them in to me BUT i have done fantasticly well on long sessions spodding in the past and it does not need to be at all expensive. my Favourite spod mix is simply hemp and whole maize get that from your nearest pet shop both are cheap easy to prepare and the maize especially goes a long way, be aware when cooking maize it will almost double in the pan. cook that up with some flaked chilli and salt from the supermarket and a few handfuls of your chosen hook-bait that is all you need for a great spod mix cheap as chips, if you really want to push the boat out mix in some betaine which is a powder, again most pet stores should be able to get if they deal with gladwells. with that mix always leave enough liquid in the bucket to cover the partical or it will dry out and float. i used to take 2 buckets filled max for a week session or one for a long weekend (empty 50 fat ball bucket)would put out a good few over each spot to start then top it up late morning (after optimum bite time) and early afternoon (before optimum bite time) i would recast my lines at these times of the day if i had no action too. hope some of that helps but don't fall into the trap of buying the overpriced toot that alot of places push, fishing is as complicated and expensive as you make it :)

Pioneer
17-04-2013, 09:11
you could also add hemp milk, almond milk, soya milk , hemp oil, veg oil of some discription and all available from the super market , any type of pellet the list is endless .
I have had some good sucsess using the milks personaly .
I do have to be honest though i hate spodding / spoming even though it is sometimes necessary .