PDA

View Full Version : Rig Lengths

thattill
09-01-2011, 21:15
What are the advatadges/disadvantadges of a real long hooklength ie : 12-18" over say a shorter hooklength of maybe 4-6" or vice versa?

John
11-01-2011, 07:21
vaires for different rigs phil, i tend not to stray from 6 - 8 inch stiff hooklink, the reason being i use running rigs for the most of my fishing and anything longer imo would be prone to tangles on the cast.

I will leave others to comment on other rigs and materials i just dont use them enough to comment properly. :tu:

steve3100
11-01-2011, 14:54
think this really depends on the type of lake bottom you are fishing over for instance if i were fishing a lake that is heavy in silt i wouldnt want to be fishing a 4-6in link as most of it will probally end up being burried in the silt as the lead crashes into it.

on the other hand if i were fishing on a lake bed that is mainly gravel i would prefer to use that short hooklength sometimes down to even 2-3in with an in-line lead soon as the fish picks up the bait its nailed almost straight away.

pikeman23
12-01-2011, 01:15
normally i fish a very silty water so hooklengths are anything from 8-12 inches long as its very thick silt and casting a very long distance will put your lead maybe 2 inches into the silt causing the rig to go in aswell. this year going to try helicopter rig to prevent that but started stripping 2 inches of coating of the braid at the swivel end so its not as stiff and wont stick up :)
If fishing gravel usually 3-5 inches depending on baiting if boilie fishing maybe 6-8 usually about 6 but if fishing a tightly baited spot of boilie crumb or parties would fish 3-5 on a running lead :)

big trev
12-01-2011, 21:23
[quote="pikeman23"]normally i fish a very silty water so hooklengths are anything from 8-12 inches long as its very thick silt, but started stripping 2 inches of coating of the braid at the swivel end so its not as stiff and wont stick up :)

I like that idea Pikey, does it work ? I would imagine that by stripping the coating off it would tangle easier.

pikeman23
12-01-2011, 23:41
i personally think it does mate not had any tangles using it yet just fish it on a lead clip with a pva bag and it works fine for me took this lil beaut from a very low stocked water on a rig like that.
14lb 4oz
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff43/flattie123/SP_A0216-1.jpg
Sorry for red took along time to catch you no how it is keeping waters hush

Kieran