PDA

View Full Version : Chub Outkast Rod Test

John
14-01-2011, 15:34
Pretty impressive the amount these rods can take, would you use information like this to purchase a rod ? as theres many reasons a rod could blow.

[center:2u534tf9][youtube:2u534tf9]lsh87axrgkk[/youtube:2u534tf9][/center:2u534tf9]

I recall owning some sundridge carp rods a good few years back and they played and landed fish and casted very well, but on 1 occaision for no apparent reason the rod blew at the spigot on a cast.

Seankp53
14-01-2011, 22:00
Being an old cynic (yes both :roll: ), I don't believe most advertising, so not a reason for buying them.

However I now own 6 of them, 3 newly purchased 3lb tc 50mm butt ring ones, which I intend to be my main rods from now on, and 3 of same tc 40mm butt ring ones that I bought previously. The original 2 were from Jonny Vegas, for a sensible price and had good use from them (Ta mate :tu: ), and another that is still brand new (with tag) that I bought just before the freeze.

Not the correct place to post, I know, but if anyone has any interest in the 40mm versions, please pm me.

Sean.

BOF39
29-01-2011, 01:08
Reminds me of a time when a pal was fishing locked up right next to a serious snag.
Alarm bleeped a couple of times, and he hit the fish, hard. Getting the thing moving out away from the snags straight away.
However a bit of loose gravel underfoot caused him to slip, drop the rod tip a bit, and gave the fish enough loose line to turn back.
Straight away the fish was in the edge of the snag, (you could see the twigs nodding).
Amazingly he didnt let the fish get any further in just clamped right down on the reel, and wound down hard as far as he could, (till the rod was bent right over, middle section creaking, and the line singing away), and then TOOK THREE BIG STEPS STRAIGHT BACK!
I thought the rod or the line would shatter for sure, but no, he got the fish out, and landed it shortly after. I was really gob smacked. I had never seen as strong a fish given so much stick in my life.
I asked him after that demonstration how he knew he could get away with it, and he said he had got his brother to hold a bank stick to which he had tied his reel line, and tried to break the 15lb line using the power of the rod, and he couldnt do it. But he had learned that the apparent maximum stick he could give a fish was nowhere near the rods true limit.
One other thing he had learned was at significant amounts of rod bend his brother holding the bank stick could hardly feel any strain on the line at all. :shock:

Try it for yourselves and see, just dont let go of the bank stick! :lol:

BOF ;)

John
29-01-2011, 08:50
Interesting post bof, JV posted a bit in the in depth section on the very same thing your talking about towards the end of your post, about pressure and how much you would actually put on a fish etc

see this mate and see what you think viewtopic.php?f=19&t=424 (http://www.craftycarping.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=424)

Seankp53
29-01-2011, 23:33
Not to change the subject, but I think the type/composition of the hook and how well seated it is will determine how much stick you can give the fish. As BOF said (and JV too) the bend in a rod does not equate to direct force, and also has a shock absorber effect for sudden lunges (if held correctly and with the right drag setting etc etc).

Achieving distance casting is most easily facilitated by getting the rod to do the work too (i.e. getting some bend in it), so the bend-ability of a rod does count for more things than just snap resistance.

Sean.

Bendog
12-02-2011, 17:50
I love my fishing but as craftycarper knows i do not have a lot of cash but if I did I would try and find something that could take a lot of abuse and still do its job. The rods I use at this time are cheep ones and I am afraid that if I try some long rang casting with them they would just brake or the eyes would pop. Thanks to Seankp53 I will hopefully have 2 of the rods in the vid and would be happy to try and get them to full compression when casting if i could.

back on the rods
12-02-2011, 17:52
Pretty impressive the amount these rods can take, would you use information like this to purchase a rod ? as theres many reasons a rod could blow.

[center:16c8ensr][youtube:16c8ensr]lsh87axrgkk[/youtube:16c8ensr][/center:16c8ensr]

I recall owning some sundridge carp rods a good few years back and they played and landed fish and casted very well, but on 1 occaision for no apparent reason the rod blew at the spigot on a cast.

Funny you say that , i had a sunridge epic carp do the same ,

mind you i had 2 nash venoms do it in the same day as well

Bendog
12-02-2011, 18:02
When my GF started fishing with me I had her on an old ledger rod that had a screw in reel seat and when she was playing a fish the metal things that hold the reel went and it was chaos.
I have took back stuff that has fell apart for no reason and the bigger tackle shops seem to not mind taking it back most of the time.