PDA

View Full Version : Restricting chat box

ground-hog
04-03-2011, 21:07
I feel this is a big step backwards in your forum, i know i have not been on the chat box or put many posts up but i do spend a lot of time reading through some very interesting threads.

I cant understand why you would choose to restrict the chat box to some members. how do you expect people to come on and introduce themselves on the chat box if they cant get in :roll: or are you becoming like all the other forums that if your not in the click then your not welcome :think2: :td:

I ask myself how long before you start restricting access to the rest of the forum?

big trev
04-03-2011, 21:31
ooooohhhh that seems a bit harsh groundhog lol. There is only a 10 post minimum before you can enter the chat box and your on 6 now! one more to reply to me telling me what a cheeky git you think I am takes you to 7 then another one on the sep/oct social thread telling us a suggested venue and if you can join us or not would take you to 8, a further one telling us all what gives you a rush in Carp fishing takes your score to 9 and finally a quick rant and rave about fuel pries in your area and how much it will cost you in fuel to get to the social in september and you will be able log in and tell me all about what you think of me in the chat box :o see you there xx

Spike
04-03-2011, 21:33
Or you could join a certain forum where you have to post 100 times before you can post or read an advert in there For Sale section!!

Malc
04-03-2011, 21:39
I feel this is a big step backwards in your forum, i know i have not been on the chat box or put many posts up but i do spend a lot of time reading through some very interesting threads.

I cant understand why you would choose to restrict the chat box to some members. how do you expect people to come on and introduce themselves on the chat box if they cant get in :roll: or are you becoming like all the other forums that if your not in the click then your not welcome :think2: :td:

I ask myself how long before you start restricting access to the rest of the forum?

This forum is going forward and not taking any steps back. The rule about the chat box may best be explained by Admin, but to be honest I can't see a problem, and there certainly won't be any restrictions to any of the members on CC.

There is no "click" on here mate, everyone and anyone can use the forum how they see fit. If they are happy to come in and read, so be it. If they come in and post on the threads and don't post on the chat box, so be it. If they only use the chat box, well that's ok as well.

Everyone is more than welcome on CC, it's a friendly happy site.

Malc.

John
04-03-2011, 21:54
Ground hog i will explain the reason why mate, no problems.

The reason this was done was to stop certain spam links being posted in the shoutbox by the very few spammers who slip through the net, the admin and mods cant be available 24/7 to moderate links that are posted in there.

So my idea was to put them off by making a minimum post count, i can see what your saying about restricting it to members aswell, and that point is taken on board.

Until i can or the techy can or anyone suggests a better solution than the one i have placed then it will remain in place till then.

I did however post up an amendments to the site rules here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3 (http://www.craftycarping.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3) which can be read anytime by any member.

Let me assure there is no clique on here, this forum was started for the very reasons that have been highlighted, high post counts to post or even view for sale sections, cliquey members where others get jumped on and are basically shot down in flames in posts, those sorts of things will never happen on here.

The other thing i would like to draw everyones notice to is if this were a cliquey forum would members with only a few posts, who dont log on that often win the comps on here :cool:

Your concerns have been noted though ground hog and if you have a better solution to the one in place you can post it up in here or pm directly and we'll see what can be done.

After all its your forum to :tu:

cheers
john
;)

ground-hog
05-03-2011, 00:07
ooooohhhh that seems a bit harsh groundhog lol. There is only a 10 post minimum before you can enter the chat box and your on 6 now! one more to reply to me telling me what a cheeky git you think I am takes you to 7 then another one on the sep/oct social thread telling us a suggested venue and if you can join us or not would take you to 8, a further one telling us all what gives you a rush in Carp fishing takes your score to 9 and finally a quick rant and rave about fuel pries in your area and how much it will cost you in fuel to get to the social in september and you will be able log in and tell me all about what you think of me in the chat box :o see you there xx

what a cheeky git you are big trev :lol: :lol:

Craftycarper i understand that spam links are a pain and no one wants them on any forum, i will just have to get my post count up if i want to join you all in the chat box.

the nowed serpent
05-03-2011, 01:18
See you're up to 7 already :lol:

Andy

John
05-03-2011, 07:25
[quote="big trev":1svmmq7g]ooooohhhh that seems a bit harsh groundhog lol. There is only a 10 post minimum before you can enter the chat box and your on 6 now! one more to reply to me telling me what a cheeky git you think I am takes you to 7 then another one on the sep/oct social thread telling us a suggested venue and if you can join us or not would take you to 8, a further one telling us all what gives you a rush in Carp fishing takes your score to 9 and finally a quick rant and rave about fuel pries in your area and how much it will cost you in fuel to get to the social in september and you will be able log in and tell me all about what you think of me in the chat box :o see you there xx

what a cheeky git you are big trev :lol: :lol:

Craftycarper i understand that spam links are a pain and no one wants them on any forum, i will just have to get my post count up if i want to join you all in the chat box.[/quote:1svmmq7g]

Another cpl of posts calling big trev names and your there :clap: :lol4: