PDA

View Full Version : carping on a small budget.... supermarket baits

John
11-04-2011, 20:56
As we all know times are hard, and harder for some people than others, so i thought a nice list of budget baits readily available from supermarkets might be of help.

Theres loads of stuff in the supermarket you can catch carp on that are generlly overlooked.

so i'll start the list off by adding these.

luncheon meat
bacon grill
chick peas
salami/pepperami

on the liquids front you can use

marmite
tesco good oil ( hemp oil )

what can you add to the list to help a fellow carper out :think2:

carpfanatic
11-04-2011, 20:58
Mussels and Seafood sauce - Accounted for a Yorkshire 40 :cool:

Aside from that all you need in the summer is 2.5kg's of Mixers - the way forward.

bendog01
11-04-2011, 21:07
Sweetcorn, Tuna, Bread, Cheese, Cat meat, Scrimp Paste, Oyster sauce, Prawns, Sardines, Golden syrup, Most types of nuts, Condensed Milk.

I have had a lot of fish on Peperami topped off with a bit of fake corn.

big trev
11-04-2011, 21:12
dont neglect the petfoods aisle. dog biscuits is the classic but have you thought about using cat biscuits.

also the cereals aisle is a good source of baits, i regularly use sugar puffs, rice krispies, hoops and cat biscuits in pva bags for my surface fishing. marshmallows, sweets and the ever versatile bread should not be overlooked either.

Carpyjon
11-04-2011, 21:40
jelly...honey...bread...digestives (i used to use this to bulk out my ground bait)...tuna & salmon (both great to add to spod mixes)

pikeman23
11-04-2011, 22:39
tuna ,cheese, chick peas, sweetcorn, hot dogs!

Giles
11-04-2011, 23:35
Herbs & spices aisle. Also look out for offers on bird foods, semo, flours, yeast powder for you boilie rollers out there!

John
12-04-2011, 20:34
also dont forget the things you could add in a spod mix, like rice pudding, condensed milk, tuna in brine & sunflower oil. :cool:

pikeman23
12-04-2011, 21:04
milk is spot on for cloudin the water :)

John
21-04-2011, 18:43
Herbs & spices aisle. Also look out for offers on bird foods, semo, flours, yeast powder for you boilie rollers out there!

had a look in the herb & spice section in tesco before, garlic granules in a stik mix could be one to use :cool:

flashgordon1952
07-07-2011, 23:51
the cheapest bait i am currently useing is maize at 1.80 for 3kgs. this can only be got from animal feeds shops. a 20kg bag is a lot cheaper to buy in the long run but would anyone use 20kg of it in 6 months? i use it to support luncheon meat and sweetcorn (note boilies are banned where i fish so is trout pellets).
the only real problem with maize that it must be soaked in salt sugar etc for at least 24hrs then cooked simmer for 30 mins. But keep an eye on the boiling they must not split (well not for haired bait anyway). yu can use also sweeteners as well instead of sugar and betaine which is a little expensive at 17 for 900grams if yu use betaine only use a spoon full for ever 100 grams of bait or so.
i am still experimenting with it ! but results are quite good. especially if yu get pestered with small fish on either luncheon meat, maggots and sweetcorn

Paul F
08-07-2011, 08:58
Everyone lives fairly close to a Chinese supermarket these days. Have a walk 'round there, it will really open your eyes!

naquant
08-07-2011, 11:23
TESCO VALUE SWEETCORN :D me and my friend did two sessions on a small lake with sweetcorn, we bought one tin of tesco value sweetcorn and one tin of green giant, we both did a session each on the bait, first day i used tesco value corn and he uased green giant, i was pulling one out every minute all crucian carp and he was pulling one out every three minutes or so but then the next day we used them two baits again but i used green giant whilst he used tesco value and same sort of results for the tesco value corn, i ended up just throwing the green giant in after not catching for 15 minutes and taking some tesco value then what do ya know im catchin

John
08-07-2011, 11:52
Tesco have an offer at the moment on there litre bottles of sauces, buy one get one free.

garlic, chilli & extra hot chilli to name a few that could be used ;)

steve3100
08-07-2011, 15:27
branston jalapeno relish ideal for spod mixes normally only quid a bottle;);):cool:

dazspenny
08-07-2011, 18:08
try fishing with 10p crisps yano de the ones "thingies" great for surface

Giles
08-07-2011, 22:57
Just a couple of tips/observations.

the only real problem with maize that it must be soaked in salt sugar etc for at least 24hrs then cooked simmer for 30 mins.
Never add anything to your soaking water it just prolongs the cooking and slows the ingress of water into the dry particle.

But keep an eye on the boiling they must not split (well not for haired bait anyway).
This is known in the trade as butterflying. When you see the first particle butterfly the maize is cooked to perfection :cool:

yu can use also sweeteners as well instead of sugar and betaine which is a little expensive at 17 for 900grams if yu use betaine only use a spoon full for ever 100 grams of bait or so.
Never add betaine to very hot particles as it boogers it up!

flashgordon1952
14-07-2011, 17:23
iceland sell sweetcorn frozen ! there sweetcorn is very large (wellconsidering if after carp and bream) compared with sainsburys. cost is under 1 a kilo.
chick peas i have not seen in the supermarket(yet).
still think anglers are better off going to there local animals feeds retail warehouse than going to any tackle shop or supermarkets or even pet supermarkets.
where molasses. bran,maize,breadcrumbs, cut maize can be got at bulk or semi bulk prices. either in 3kg or even 15kg/20kg/25kg. where yu can at a price get delivery . my local animal feeds warehouse does vitually every bait yu can think off for the carper. (except live bait) my own does a very good deal on boilies,pellets,halibut pellets and our old friend vitalin.

telefisherone
29-07-2011, 15:30
hi folks, the only one needed is the survival kit number one, "Baked beans" the best i find is Asdas but the new Branstons beans super yummy, sz 8 to 6 hook load em on and fish under a float for Carp and Tench, sz 10 t0 14 for owt else, if ya fail its a tin o beans for brekkie, the aftermath is the beans fault:clap:

Mattman1981
29-07-2011, 17:42
i've actually had success on king prawns

John
01-08-2011, 16:11
chick peas i have not seen in the supermarket(yet).

Tesco have chick peas in abundance in there aisles, usually where the lentils and stuff are :tu:

jonny vegas
02-08-2011, 00:04
milk is spot on for cloudin the water :)

condensed milk is even better! very very sweet and very gloopy, and sinks to the bottom,, hi attract no food source unless its in a spod mix! ooops :eek::tu:

neal
30-08-2011, 21:57
love using baits like these must say have had some good fish aswell i tend to use boille and pellets for ease but have had great sucess by adding fenugreek to a pva with mixed pellet sizes in there

also some others i have have used

cubes of apple
cubes of pear
peice of toffee
carrot
choclate a square of dairy milk
fizzy cola bottles

when i had the time i would mix up my own baits just another part of fishing i enjoy

and good one not the nicest of things to do but dose work go and collect up some road kill hand it in a bad with holes in in a tree idealy over where you will have a bait when the road kill rots the flys will get at and the moggots will fall out the holes in the bag free pre baiting all you have to do is to the bag up
probley not best to try this on busy day ticket waters lol

flashgordon1952
30-08-2011, 22:48
one of the biggest expenses is ground bait/feed bait ! i know most anglers tended to buy there feeder bait at the same time they bought the rest of what they need for a weekends fishing. (thats coarse anglers in general) now with petrol prices spiralling to new heights (not long ago it was 1.00 a litre now .140 thats a huge markup in less tjan 2 years).anglers want better deals. We have seen forum members suggest they go to chinese supermarkets. and the regular ones.to buy things in bulk (frozen ) One great untapped source is your farm shop or animal feeds supermarket. Living in a rural area we have a number of them near chelmsford and brentwood. As i have said before i buy my maize there but i looked at there price list and there was something like 50 items that was suitable for fishing .(this particular shop does not really have a huge stock of fishing only baits but because what they sell is suitable for animals most of the food stuffs are suitable ,but they tend to be unprepared foods) Compareing ie maize per kilo There is a huge difference from what they would sell in a angling shop prepared maize would have a markup of something like 80% ?against unpreapred maize. The advantage with unprepared is that yu can add what yu like to it.(sugar,molasses,salt etc etc ) the same can be said of any feeds that are used in fishing. There is no downside to it in my view.
Right if we take a " weekends fishing" carp fishing costs would be something like this ! based on a round trip of 100 miles on a average car petrol at 35mpg at 1.40 a litre 6 litres of fuel= 16.80 . bait boilies 10-20. backup baits luncheon meat one tin 1.60 plus maybe half a kilo of frozen sweetcorn 1. ground bait say 3 kilos of vitalin plus whats added to it hemp.molasses,sweetcorn etc etc etc (unknown price) gas for cooking (unknown price) food and drinkfor camping probably about 25/40 for 2 days(nights) fishing per person batteries would have to be added or oil lamps and torches. Then you add the price of any lost gear ie weights hooks etc. And this is cutting down on luxurys like not prepareing your own ground baits. if more than one person goes at least the petrol costs would be halved ! But even with cutting costs to the bone. it still works out at 80/100 for 2 nights and 2 days.

CrazedCarper
30-08-2011, 23:29
Bread... you can so shed loads with a loaf of bread,, blend it right up add a little spice or chilli or whatever youve got handy, flavour it, all sorts:cool:

John
12-07-2012, 00:59
Down the canned veg section in tesco, Peanut milk, full of goodness, cheap as chips 75p a tub, great for the spod mix :cool:

Wizard
12-07-2012, 03:00
Don't forget your Pet Stores, loads of bait in there. Bakers Allsorts is a small bag of treats for your pet but you can hair rig and add to PVA mesh/bags (the bait, not your dog.. :yes:) as a great bait.

Also Poundshop / Poundstetcher is another good retailer which you can pick up cheap bait. Has anyone tried 'Bakers Complete' yet, the ones with the meaty chunks in it ?

Seankp53
12-07-2012, 22:25
Whilst recently sans wheels (diff blew and punched hole through gearbox), was legbound, so made some "method mix" with peanut butter and crushed peanut biscuits to accompany my bought Oracle peanut pop ups, and ditto coconut biccy's with dessicated coconut, maltodextrose (body builder stuff), and a variant with grated white chocolate to match other boilies.

As you can tell I get bored quickly, so have to keep myself busy :lol:

Sean.

Dlowry
13-07-2012, 08:05
Sweetcorn and at 1 a Kilo you can use lots of it. If anyone fishing/planning to fish cockerham quarry fill the lake in with it and you'll catch the 30lb common, loves the stuff.

It Was A HUGE One Mate
09-01-2013, 17:49
I've been using Tesco's Everyday Value Malt Loaf (about 30p each) rolled up into around 16mm balls and hair rigging them (leave them in the sun for an hour to get a Crispy Skin better suited for a needle).
I've Not failed to catch a Carp yet and i eat half of it as well :lmao:
It does leave you with really Sticky Hands though :oops:

John
09-01-2013, 18:03
I've Not failed to catch a Carp yet and i eat half of it as well :lmao:

You eat half the carp :o :rofl: :rofl:

Larry
09-01-2013, 18:25
Cat&dog food Flavoured sticks similar to pepperami sticks but not as large in dia .Morrison's doing special price packet of 6 sticks for normally 1.00 doing 2 for 1.00 i bought loads of the last few weeks hasn't cost me a penny as the wife pay's for the shopping.:D i get all supermarket bait for nothing.:cool::D
A visit to your local animal feed store is alway's worthwhile.

It Was A HUGE One Mate
09-01-2013, 18:37
You eat half the carp :o :rofl: :rofl:

:shh: Not too loud, The Polish have started steeling the Carp from the pond that i fish at :tos:

Larry
09-01-2013, 18:50
:shh: Not too loud, The Polish have started steeling the Carp from the pond that i fish at :tos:

They started that at my local club's pool but we soon got it stopped by doing night patrol's 2 of us at a time.
If we saw them we used say to them i wouldn't go down there there lot's anglers waiting for you&they just turned round & went back also had the backing of the local police as well .They told not get into bother with them just call them &they'd come down&help sort it it worked there no trouble now with poacher's.

It Was A HUGE One Mate
09-01-2013, 19:00
They started that at my local club's pool but we soon got it stopped by doing night patrol's 2 of us at a time.
If we saw them we used say to them i wouldn't go down there there lot's anglers waiting for you&they just turned round & went back also had the backing of the local police as well .They told not get into bother with them just call them &they'd come down&help sort it it worked there no trouble now with poacher's.

Our 2 Ponds are owned by Flintshire County Council Who won't lift a finger to maintain the ponds or stop it going on and the local Police Can't make any money out of it so won't lift a finger either :shock:
Some of us local fishermen have stood our ground but have had Knives & Catapults pulled on us and Still the local plod won't do a thing :slap:

Seankp53
09-01-2013, 20:20
Back to topic :lol: Sainsbury sell small packets of hemp seed :tu:

Just make sure you prepare it properly, please.

Sean.

Larry
10-01-2013, 11:21
I think the only reason we got help from the police was that there are police officers that are members of the club .I think we were fortunate as i seemed to be the same 2 what i thought they were Polish speaking poachers that soon got fed up especially when one of the members shouted across the pool at the they they are lad's they are surrounded move than soon scarpered.

Bluelabel
10-01-2013, 13:40
Feed merchants such as Jolleys do bulk seeds at quite competitive prices
various supermarket particles include lentils, split peas, pearl barley, sunflower seeds, quinoa...
most pet outlets will do particles cheaply or try Hinders for a dedicated angling bait store...

as with all particles just make sure they are prepared properly:cool:

for hookers try using cooked cheapo sausages or other cooked meats.... you can pimp them up with paprika, curry powder/pastes or any other spices you can think of.... chorizo sausage is a damn good bait as it's packed with paprika and garlic:cool:

John
16-10-2013, 12:57
Little tip for getting bread, get to your local asda or tesco that has the bakery in, they will give you bags of different breads that they are just going to chuck in the bin, burnt, fell on floor, ones that arent quite right etc etc, usually free aswell :cool: